Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ASTRA H 1.9 CDTI 150 Died catastrophically

Hi All,

I have the above on a 57 plate it's done 35,000 miles. I've had a strange humming noise for a number of weeks that I deduced was engine but more likely drivetrain related as it only occured when the engine was in gear and under load.

On Tuesday I drove 130m to London (mainly motorway) and hit traffic. As I pulled off the car juddered slightly, It was so insignificant that I wondered whether it was my clutch control rather then the car, then it happened again and again until I got there. Car stays parked up for 2 days and 40 miles into my return journey I hit traffic on the M25 again. It Juddered on two consecutive occasions in heavy stop start traffic so I turned the stereo off and put the window down. The car sounded totally funked!!

There was lots of scraping and squeeking noises, loud enough for other drivers to take note and look. The the car sort of stalled but the engine didn't cut out it was like a very violent fore and aft rock, then it wouldnt go into first gear.

I had to ride the clutch at about 3000 rpm to get it to move before the wheels locked and it almost stalled again. Again I couldn't get it back into gear and one of the noises was like the sound of a bolt going round in a washing machine still with scraping (as though you're dragging a trolley jack across the ground). There was no noises on tickover at any revs, only when in gear so I'm assuming it is drivetrain??

I got into the hard shoulder, left it sat for 20 mins and then tried to move but the wheels locked again so got recovered. After a further hour of being stood, the guy drove it straight onto the recovery truck (and back off at the other end) with no noise or issue??

I'm totally at a loss as the car was totally undriveable, I'm normally quite willing to take a risk with cars but this sounded and acted completely unsafe to drive.

Sorry for the long post but wanted to fully describe the issue. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just been called by my garage, its the gearbox thats blown. Gutted!!

Anyone know of the best route?? Recon - cheap stockist or do I bite the bullet and go new?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Does the car have full service history? If it does I would be tempted to take it up with Vauxhall as long as it has been looked after properly a gear box should last the life of the car. I would also look into consumer law if this is the case as you do have some rights against poorly manufactured goods even if they are out of guarantee. No harm in trying

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    as above mate, 35k is very low mileage for the box to pop.
    vx might pull you out the poop i think as a good will gesture providing it has a fsh..
    Quote Originally Posted by fozzie1984 View Post
    but the wife thinks its better to spend money on food and silly things like that.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds to me like the Dual Mass Fly Wheel / Clutch assembly has exploded, taking out the gearbox at the same time ...

Gutted for you to say the least

Dean

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Near Portsmouth....... Drives a Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanF View Post
    Sounds to me like the Dual Mass Fly Wheel / Clutch assembly has exploded, taking out the gearbox at the same time ..

Dean
    Seen that happen before.
    The truth is always the truth even if you haven't realised it yet...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It has got full service history but not full dealer service history.

I dont expect much joy. My warranty ran out in September and the drivers side door window fell out the door when being put up. They replaced it under warranty but 2 weeks later the same thing happened again and they wouldn't do a thing, they even said that the work that they had done previously wasn't warranted.

The biggest problem now is that the car doesn't drive so to get to a vauxhall garage means getting towed

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbeybouchet View Post
    It has got full service history but not full dealer service history.

I dont expect much joy. My warranty ran out in September and the drivers side door window fell out the door when being put up. They replaced it under warranty but 2 weeks later the same thing happened again and they wouldn't do a thing, they even said that the work that they had done previously wasn't warranted.

The biggest problem now is that the car doesn't drive so to get to a vauxhall garage means getting towed
    Although they may argue otherwise i'm pretty sure that as long as you have service history it doesn't have to be actual dealer history. I would check with trading standards or citizens advice before giving up on that avenue

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Near Portsmouth....... Drives a Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It doesnt have to be serviced by Vauxhall but it needs to have Vauxhall parts fitted when serviced.
    The truth is always the truth even if you haven't realised it yet...