Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How will YOU survive the winter this year?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How will YOU survive the winter this year?

Got talking to a couple of friends, usual chitchat and the weather came up to it, we got talking in to how we will prepare ourselves for the winter (obviously car wise).
    I'm now very curious of how other people may prepare themselves, remedies or routines as such they take in the morning or even the night before.
    Maybe we'll all learn a thing or two this winter to keep our cars safe, drivable and, escaping breakdowns !
    Go on, give us what you got!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well theres not a lot to it really is there , common sense keep you're car serviced and make sure you have a good battery on it ,check and make sure the fan belt is in good condition , and that the anti freeze is at the correct strength ,washer bottle keeped toped up , and for the mornings if you haven't got a garage to keep the car in over night you'd best be covering the windows to prevent them freezing , you can buy polythene sheets made for the purpose at motor factors B&Q places like that you can also get a half car cover that just covers the roof and windows for about a tenner

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I also put winter wheels on the car in case it slides into a curb and damage an alloy. I also give the car a complete polish and regularly clean under the arches to protect it from grit and dirt picked up from the roads. Make sure you have a blanket, food and a shovel in the boot in case you get stuck in extreme weather and make sure your lights are working and that you have spare bulbs. I would also check your tyre pressure.
    Your car cannot handle a driver of this magnitude!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Your car cannot handle a driver of this magnitude!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    Few things for the winter I will do.

Firstly detail the car, plenty of wax to protect the paintwork from the crap off the roads. Going to take all wheels off this weekend, clean insides down and clean arches down. Will do the same again once the cold weather and gritting of the roads is done.

Mechanical wise, had oil changed few weeks back so that is good to go. Keep screenwash topped up, and carry plenty of mini blade fuses for the screen wash pump when they blow. Will see how many I can blow in a day this year, last years record was 3 in one day.
    Astra sold ... replaced with a Skoda ... soon to be replaced with another Vauxhall

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Check your coolant levels - also ensure you have the right ratio of coolant to water. Vauxhall supplied coolant should usually be mixed 50/50.

Use the right amount of screenwash in your water for the temps. Stops the water freezing and damaging the motor, and usually means you can keep washing your screen down to silly - temps outside. Last year I could still wash my screen at 60mph with the MFD showing -6c outside. Useful when there's loads of salt kicking up.

Keep a warm coat/gloves/scarf in the car (or blanket, but coat etc. is easier if you need to get out of the car).

DON'T reduce tyre pressure in the winter. You lose handling and it is more dangerous, reduced stopping/cornering performance etc. which is critical in the icy weather.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    hmm first year in my astra after opening the door in my coupe the window diddnt go down so i have invested in a can of deicer im gonna spray down the driverside window before i open the door next time.

Start the car and let it tick over for 10 mins before i go anywhere.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I tend to keep a supply of items in the boot...

coat
    torch
    various tools
    1lt oil
    1lt screen wash
    de-icer
    scraper
    jump leads
    pump

These stay in the car all year round - not just winter.

I also check all levels frequently.
    1999 Astra CDX 1.8 16v Auto Estate

14th December 2012 - 200,000 miles

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KJenkins View Post
    I also put winter wheels on the car in case it slides into a curb and damage an alloy. I also give the car a complete polish and regularly clean under the arches to protect it from grit and dirt picked up from the roads. Make sure you have a blanket, food and a shovel in the boot in case you get stuck in extreme weather and make sure your lights are working and that you have spare bulbs. I would also check your tyre pressure.
    We dont live in Alaska

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Im feeling let down this winter the media had me belieiving i would be getting snowed in. And id found a HUGE car park to play in the scooby in.

Except for a half assed attempt yesterday no Snow at all.

Same as everyone else car is serviced and checked and is warmed up and cooled down at the start and end off every journey

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast