Thread: Throttle positioning sensor malfunction!

Status
    couldn't care less!
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Throttle positioning sensor malfunction!

Steph's car has been flagging up an engine management light for a while and after a bit of reading up we thought it may be the AFM.

So we replaced the AFM and then it flagged up that the lambda sensor wasn't working.

Fair enough so a new one was purchased and fitted.

Now the car is running worse than ever!

Its at a local Kwikfit (theyve got a diagnostic system, and aren't charging as we get on really well with them) and the car is now saying it has a throttle positioning sensor malfunction.

The car has been left with them as there going to have a look when they get a chance but im trying to figure it out in the mean time.

Does it just need the throttle body cleaned out or is it something far more sinister?

The car in question is a 1.8 coupe btw.

Thanks for any help as were pulling our hair out at the moment!

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    although you are getting a tps code, i have always found that this in fact relates to a throttle body malfunction when i have worked on Z18's with tps codes. if it was AFM then you normally get T.C light, sometimes ABS and flat/surging running with little power. there is an outside chance you could have dry joints within the ecu board. but first off i would remove and clean the TB to within an inch of it's life. clear the codes and see what happens

Status
    couldn't care less!
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve1412 View Post
    although you are getting a tps code, i have always found that this in fact relates to a throttle body malfunction when i have worked on Z18's with tps codes. if it was AFM then you normally get T.C light, sometimes ABS and flat/surging running with little power. there is an outside chance you could have dry joints within the ecu board. but first off i would remove and clean the TB to within an inch of it's life. clear the codes and see what happens

Thank you for that,

The car was surging and the traction control light was staying on so this caused the thinking of a new AFM.

The throttle body is next on the list we think. Doubt it's ever been off since the car was made so were hoping its that.

If not were told the throttle positioning sensor itself is big money!

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    about £95 for tps and £280 for TB

Status
    couldn't care less!
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by steve1412 View Post
    about £95 for tps and £280 for TB
    Thank god for that!

We were told in excess of £2500!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    might want to do the earth mod on the AFM

basically strip back the harness next to the AFM plug and splice a new length of wire into the yellow earth wire - run the other end to a nice solid earth point on the chassis

in addition to this, i would do as Steve suggests and clean the TB thoroughly

less than 5mins to remove and spend a good ten mins cleaning it - i use petrol, a microfibre and an old toothbrush. Id also soak the cloth in petrol and stuff it down the inlet mani and wipe off any deposits theres whilst ur at it

theres usually a few brand new TBs on ebay sub £200 so not the end of the world if this is the case.

Status
    couldn't care less!
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GeordieBandit View Post
    might want to do the earth mod on the AFM

basically strip back the harness next to the AFM plug and splice a new length of wire into the yellow earth wire - run the other end to a nice solid earth point on the chassis

in addition to this, i would do as Steve suggests and clean the TB thoroughly

less than 5mins to remove and spend a good ten mins cleaning it - i use petrol, a microfibre and an old toothbrush. Id also soak the cloth in petrol and stuff it down the inlet mani and wipe off any deposits theres whilst ur at it

theres usually a few brand new TBs on ebay sub £200 so not the end of the world if this is the case.
    Cheers for that

Didn't think about the earth mod to be honest.

Since this the car has flagged the eml up again but is running fine so Im not convinced it's anything too expensive.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    what is a tbs

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If it is the TPS sensor on a z18xe you have to buy a new TB since the sensor itself is on the TB.

Cheers!
    Opel 4EVER!