Thread: People who have irmy exhaust! condensation help??

Status
    Yorkshire RO
    Mentioned in
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

People who have irmy exhaust! condensation help??

has anyone who has twin oval irmy exhaust noticed after putting it on that they have alot more condensation coming from it as opposed to the standard one, or even anyone putting a bigger backbox on???

its kindov getting to a worrying amount of it... sometimes drowning the car behind me and i thought it was smoke but im being insisted its condensation and to stop being paranoid lol

thanks
    Live in Yorkshire? Click here for meet ups in our area!

Currently driving Arden Blue Zafira GSi..... Not your average people carrier!

If speed scares you, try Windows...

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    i suffered with the same problem when i ran my Sxi with the irmy back box. it is condensation and it is what ultimately rots mild steel exhaust systems. it seem worse with the irmy box becuase it is so restrictive at exiting the gases

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my irmy steams quite a bit. settles down after a while though. arent all irmy boxes straight through? i looked at mine before i put it on the car and im pretty sure mine was straight through?

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    It's worse with the new one because it is LESS restrictive to the exhaust gasses. The OEM backbox would have held much of the condensation within the silencer padding.

It's nothing to worry about, the condensation was there before the exhaust change you just didn't see it.

The more you see the better, as it means less is being left inside the silencer and as you suggest, likely making it rust and rot more quickly.

Status
    Yorkshire RO
    Mentioned in
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sorry for long reply

you see mine doesnt seem to calm down... the pic below is just as I stopped in tescos after driving around for 2 hours.

so how much is a normal amount,? and I know this pic may look worse than it is with the light but trust me it looks like that in day light.

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It happens in cold weather.

A hot exhaust causes water condenses out of the cold damp air when you turn the engine off. Next day when you turn the engine back on, the hot exhaust gases boils the condensate, and it comes out the back as steam.. this is very apparent as the steam hits the cold winter air.. this is what you are seeing.

Start to worry if it doesn't stop after the engine has warmed up

Status
    Yorkshire RO
    Mentioned in
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yea as said my car had been running for well over an hour before that pic was taken :/

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just keep an eye on the water levels and the oil. make sure theres no contamination in either the oil or the coolant bottle. as geoff says im pretty sure its just the cold weather buddy. mine looks like your pic after about 5 minutes of idle, but after about 20 minutes of driving i dont get any condensation while im driving along and when im sat at traffic lights for more than 30 seconds the condensation builds up a bit again. not enough for me to worry though because the water level isnt going down.