Drives
    Astra Estate 2005 (H) 1.7 CDTi 80hp
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

Help required

Hi Peeps,
    I`ve got an Astra 1.7 CDti 80hp 55 plate.
    I had the Alternator changed approx 6months ago and now i have the same problem again.
    So i in my wisdom got the alternator redone however this time it has made no difference and it is still not charging the battery (which incidentally is fine) so the mechanic claimed he had found a power drain from the glow plug and we agreed to change the glow plug relay - no change.
    Total price for work on car & parts £150 and car returned still not working
    He then informs me that a friend of his who is an auto electrician advised him that it is a job for vauxhall as it is a ecu problem as he has apparently seen this problem several times with Astras ,Vectras & Zafiras.
    Having searched the forum for inspiration i came across a thread regarding a bulb in the dash that could have a bearing on the alternator charging with this passage being the result :

Had a go this morning and me is well happy . Got the clocks out, not much trouble, just a bit of wiggling and jigging. Located bulb and found that I had a spare laying about. Changed em over, put all back together and tested fine.

Started up motor and was charging at 14.5v straight away. I just about managed not to jump up in the air cheering. Well Chuffed! Took me a week but I got their.

Couldn't have done it without all your replys and posts. Thanks to you all, particarlly MarkT. You have a big Brain! Cheers again.

Bri
    Does this bulb apply to my car if so what bulb is it????

So can anybody advise me on what else to look at or try as i really don`t want to have to pay £70 just to have a diagnostic before i have exhausted all other avenues

Thanks for all your advice on this matter

Paul

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There is a light that shows when the battery is NOT being charged. A bulb/LED is there as an indicator, to show you something. The battery is charged by the alternator in a car. I would go to a different garage and would be asking for the £150 back or going through the small claims court and trading standards. The garage I use does not charge if the car is not repaired. I would have refused to pay if I had a car returned with the same fault and unrelated parts were replaced.
    Why would you be charged £70 for a diagnostics check? Is that from the same garage that couldn't diagnose or repair your car? Do it yourself.

Hold the brake and accelerator right to the floor (if a manual gearbox). Turn the key to position 2 but do not start the car. The mileage display will change to "ECN" and a series of numbers will show where the mileage is. Make a note of each set of numbers as it cycles through. There is a huge list on this forum that will give you an idea of where to start looking to solve the problem.

Post a message asking for help with the error codes. If your alternator isn't working your steering goes very heavy and the battery drains very quickly. That's when you will see the red light. A power drain from a glowplug is at least "original" !

Status
    AOC Regular
    Drives
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    There is a light that shows when the battery is NOT being charged. A bulb/LED is there as an indicator, to show you something. The battery is charged by the alternator in a car. I would go to a different garage and would be asking for the £150 back or going through the small claims court and trading standards. The garage I use does not charge if the car is not repaired. I would have refused to pay if I had a car returned with the same fault and unrelated parts were replaced.
    Why would you be charged £70 for a diagnostics check? Is that from the same garage that couldn't diagnose or repair your car? Do it yourself.

Hold the brake and accelerator right to the floor (if a manual gearbox). Turn the key to position 2 but do not start the car. The mileage display will change to "ECN" and a series of numbers will show where the mileage is. Make a note of each set of numbers as it cycles through. There is a huge list on this forum that will give you an idea of where to start looking to solve the problem.

Post a message asking for help with the error codes. If your alternator isn't working your steering goes very heavy and the battery drains very quickly. That's when you will see the red light. A power drain from a glowplug is at least "original" !
    Firstly thank you for your reply however maybe my original post wasn`t very clear.
    The garage i took it to is my usual mechanic who i trust.
    The replacement alternator was my request as i have had the alternator fail before so i am fully aware of the symptoms so therefore i wrongly self diagnosed it to be the alternator hence £70 of labour.
    The glow plug relay was suggested and i gave him the go ahead to purchase and fit hence £40.
    The other £40 which completes my bill was for nearly 3 hours of searching for the reason that my new alternator is still not charging which at his usual £40 per hour would normally have cost £120 so on that front i think the cost of having my car returned was reasonable.
    The £70 diagnostic charge is from Arnold Clark Vauxhall a different garage completely.

Anyways i have done the pedal test and the results are as follows:

50074 = Vehicle Speed Signal not plausible with Engine Speed and Injection Mass B-050
    62102 = Generator Lamp "L" Control Circuit Malfunction IPC (Instrument) C-021
    38004 & 3800f i know what the problem is with the glow plug

If any of you guys can help me out with a solution to the other codes i will be forever in your debt....

Paul

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    number of help questions regarding the problem come up on google:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...l=&oq=&gs_rfai=

From fried alternator to this:
    "Sounds like a malfunction in the stator excitation circuit possibly, maybe absense or low 12v ignition signal which passes through the lamp to the alternator to start charging"

Which I cant help with....

Status
    AOC Regular
    Drives
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Sounds like a malfunction in the stator excitation circuit possibly, maybe absense or low 12v ignition signal which passes through the lamp to the alternator to start charging
    What lamp????

c`mon guys sum1 must have some advice here regarding my problem

Paul