Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1.7 cdti (80) 54 Plate - Alternater

Hi,

Unfortunately my car died on the way home tonight and the RAC chap believes it could be the alternater.

Could someone please tell me where I might find the alternater for this engine so I can check and see if the belt has come off / loose.

Cheers.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I seem to remember its at the bottom front left as you look at the car. Just the right place to catch any dirt off the road! Mine was £220 for replacing and fitting.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    alternator is just under the a/c unit.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by Beta View Post
    Hi,

Unfortunately my car died on the way home tonight and the RAC chap believes it could be the alternater.

Could someone please tell me where I might find the alternater for this engine so I can check and see if the belt has come off / loose.

Cheers.
    That's why I am not with the RAC, to only be able to guess instead of give a proper diagnosis is not good enough. If the alternator goes on the Astra, an early warning sign is the red light on the instrument panel and the power steering goes very "heavy". Then the car just dies on you.
    You could get the error codes without having to pay a garage to do it for you, it would help you see which parts of the car are affected. It doesn't always mean that a particular part is broken, it could be a combination of things or a condition caused by the failure of other components.
    Put your foot right down on the brake and the accelerator (if manual), then turn the key to position 2. Don't start it! Your mileage display will change to "ECN" and then give a number. Make a note of all the numbers it shows as it cycles through. There is a huge list of error codes on this site for you to look through.

You would hope that even a sales person from the RAC would spot if a belt had broken or slipped off!