Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Clutch or Gearbox?

This is my story...

My car is acting up... I hope my English is up to standard as I need to explain this clearly and explicitly. My gear shift is stuck, it wont engage any gears when the engine is on... when I switch off the engine the gears angage freely without pressing the clutch....

what could be wrong, please help me...?

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Very stragne, but id be pointing towards the clutch. What mileage is on the car? And is the brake level fluid fine?
    Astra Sold! Now its back! Sold Again! Who knows whats going on!

Currently Running MK1 1.8 MX5 with LSD awaiting boost, and a Red UK DC2

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ace275 View Post
    Very stragne, but id be pointing towards the clutch. What mileage is on the car? And is the brake level fluid fine?
    I hope it is the brake fluid... the car is 116 000 km... and I have serviced it religeously... as they say in English ... I haven't checked the brake fluid... I drive a 2005 astra H... where can I check the break fluid?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    not sure exactly but as its only when engine running i would presume it is a vacuum/servo related problem

maybe check your vacuum lines between master cylinder (attached to brake/clutch fluid reservoir) and inlet manifold on engine

what engine do you have?

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Should be a small reservoir at the back of the engine, just off to the left a little bit, with a black lid and yellow symbol on it. To be honest if it is low, the brake light would come on anyway and you would still have a leak in the system to fix.

Id say theres something wrong with the clutch still. Im not completely sure though, thats a really unusual fault. It couldn't be the gearbox, it should act the same weather the engine is on or off. Has the clutch slipped recently? When pulling away fast have the revvs climbed quicker than the car has moved?

__Edit - As above, if its diesel, then check the vacuum lines. Forgot about that one__

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Should be a small reservoir at the back of the engine, just off to the left a little bit, with a black lid and yellow symbol on it. To be honest if it is low, the brake light would come on anyway and you would still have a leak in the system to fix.

Id say theres something wrong with the clutch still. Im not completely sure though, thats a really unusual fault. It couldn't be the gearbox, it should act the same weather the engine is on or off. Has the clutch slipped recently? When pulling away fast have the revvs climbed quicker than the car has moved?

__Edit - As above, if its diesel, then check the vacuum lines. Forgot about that one__
    It is a 1.4 engine.. I just do not know what to do, if this information helps... If it put the car on first or second gear, while the engine is off - and I start the engine... it moves ... but I can not change the gears after that, they remain stiff...

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds like a pressure issue then. I had the same thing before. Not enough pressure at the slave cylinder in my case.

Try topping up brake fluid, then putting your foot behind the clutch pedal and pulling it up towards you. This should allow you to do a few changes before you need to do this again. If this works, its definitely a pressure issue. When this happened to my car, the copper pipe inside the gearbox leading to the slave cylinder had burst.

(Brake fluid and Clutch fluid share the same reservoir)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    is the clutch engaging at all?

similar thing happened to my combo couple months back - pedal pressed fine but the pedal mechanism actually snapped and wasnt pushing the rod that goes between master cylinder and pedal

you need to find out if clutch is actually engaging

either get on floor and look for pedal/rod assembly or put it in gear with engine off, handbrake off, press clutch and see if u can get someone to push car!

if not, then clutch is not disengaging when pedal pressed.... either problem with pedal end, or maybe clutch release cylinder inside gearbox

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    (Brake fluid and Clutch fluid share the same reservoir)
    I get you, fully and thank you... stupid question really, but where is the c/b fluid reservoir situated ...?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Im saying concentric bearing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast