Thread: sending emails using iphone issue

Status
    Turbo Jizz Golfer !
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

sending emails using iphone issue

I have an iphone 3GS (groan, not another one I hear you all say lol)

Anyway, I have set up three different 'ntlworld.com' email accounts on the phone and all three can receive emails with no problems.

If I send an email from the phone using a 'wifi' connection, I dont have a problem. However, if I try to send an email through 3G, the phone just keeps saying 'sending' and eventually bombs out saying it cannot connect to the outgoing server. This happens every time?

I dont know why this keeps happening and it is becoming quite frustrating that I cannot send emails when I am out and about unless I am near a wifi hotspot.

Would this be an issue with my ISP or the phone itself?

Anyone else have this issue with their 3GS?

Cheers

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Might not just be an iPhone problem, i have a HTC desire and have my work email on phone. It only really ever seems to send&recieve if there's a solid 'H' signal which is HSDPA (a bit higher than 3G i think)

It could be that your just not getting a strong enough 3G signal to send emails.

Because it sends/recieves fine over WiFi you can discount the fact that you have the settings for POP/IMAP mail wrong. I'd be siding on the fact that the signal strength isnt good enough.

When i set up microsoft exchange active sync users on their iphones in work, i need to walk outside for it to sync properlly, doesnt matter if they are using, 3G, 3GS or iphone 4, same problem all the time.
    IT Services for Glasgow, UK
    This is only here for google webmaster tools purposes.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have an iphone, 3gs. How big are the files you are trying to send?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Can you get onto the intenet OK just using 3G?
    Honda Civic Type R

Status
    Turbo Jizz Golfer !
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paulst30 View Post
    Might not just be an iPhone problem, i have a HTC desire and have my work email on phone. It only really ever seems to send&recieve if there's a solid 'H' signal which is HSDPA (a bit higher than 3G i think)

It could be that your just not getting a strong enough 3G signal to send emails.

Because it sends/recieves fine over WiFi you can discount the fact that you have the settings for POP/IMAP mail wrong. I'd be siding on the fact that the signal strength isnt good enough.

When i set up microsoft exchange active sync users on their iphones in work, i need to walk outside for it to sync properlly, doesnt matter if they are using, 3G, 3GS or iphone 4, same problem all the time.
    I had a full set of signal bars when I tried to send the emails. Going to try again later in a different location. Cheers Paul

@SWeekes - it was just a blank email with the word 'test' in the subject heading.

Status
    Turbo Jizz Golfer !
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trenchy View Post
    Can you get onto the intenet OK just using 3G?
    I can yeh. Its just emails which is giving me problems.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Dont confuse the signal bars with you having a 3g connection, It has to Say 3G. If it doesnt say that your using 2G, GPRS or Edge which are less bandwidth connections. Most things you do on a smartphone these days will require 3G however they can operate on a lower signal.

On my desire, i have H then the bars next to it, if the H arrows up and down are not flashing i have no signal however sending texts and phone calls still work because they use a lower level signal (the bars)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I can send full page emails on the lowest internet. This a tricky one as it works fine over wifi so cinfig must have been good. Maybe the email hosts do not support emails over 3g? prob a silly comment lol does anybody else have this problem?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Usually when setting this sort of thing up Al, you'd need to specify a recieve url (imap.mail.com) and a sending url (smtp.live.com) and specify certain ports too. You are normally asked for username and password credentials too and whether you need to use an SSL connection.

Its strange how it works on WiFi and not 3G. Does it only happen on one account? or all of them?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have a 3gs mine connected to my live account i find that it don't always send emails if there isn't the 3g sign next to the signal bars

what network you on cause i am on o2 and been having problems with my signal recently
    Bull sh*t stops when lights go green
    Mk5 1.4 16v, diblas flowmaster, lowered 35mm, 18" zito rims, custom built boot build, tinted all round

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast