Thread: Insurance Claim after theft. Car Recovered

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Insurance Claim after theft. Car Recovered

I have a Vauxhall Astra sxi 3dr 57 plate, which was stolen just over a week ago, house was broken into and keys taken. Luckily the police have recovered the vehicle and the key, and have reported theres no obvious damage to it, its currently at a vehicle recovery centre.
    Ive since called my insurnace (Tesco) to talk about getting the vehicle back, they have said they need to get one of their engineers to check the vehicle and the claim will go from there, questioned whether this was necessary if nothing appears damaged, and the main point they were putting across is getting the locks changed.. Even though the key has been recovered, they say there is a very small chance that they taken a copy of the key..
    sounds a bit ridiculous to me, I live about 80 miles away from where the vehicle was stolen, and there was nothing in the car to link to my home address..

My main question is should I withdraw my claim? If necessary get the locks changed myself, as they suggested this may affect my insurance covereage..
    OR would it be best to continue with this claim, and get it completely checked and just deal with the increased premiums? Im a bit suspicious they are taken me for a ride, and doing the best for me to claim...

Can anyone advise how much changing the locks is likely to cost? parts and labour?

Sorry if there are a few questions here, or not enough info.. This is the first claim I have ever had to make, and Im just confused as to whats the best way for me to deal with it

thanks

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would leave it to the insurance company to deal with. If you dropped the calim you would have to change the door/boot locks the ignition barrell, and maybe the imobiliser also get the key re-programmed this could cost quite a bit. If they will do it for you then let them foot the bill and pay the higher price.

Only thing is if you come to sell the car I'm sure it will have a mark against it saying it was stolen and recovered
    Be an optimist - at least until they start moving animals in pairs to Cape Canaveral.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    was it not your house that was broken into? you said they was stolen in a bugulary and then you said you live over 80miles away?

i would let the insurance sort it out mate, let them change the locks,

only personally but i wouldnt want the car back..
    Quote Originally Posted by fozzie1984 View Post
    but the wife thinks its better to spend money on food and silly things like that.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    ^^ yeah, i didn't get the 80 mile thing, yet the keys were taken from his house either. So they took his keys, drove 80 miles to locate his car & then stole it?

TBH i'd just let the claim run & have the locks changed for peace of mind.

That said, if they got access to your house so easily once, they could do it again & take your new key for your new barrell.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sorry, obviously didnt explain it completely then.
    I was staying with a friend, who lives ~80 miles from my own home. His home was burgled and my keys and car taken from there.

Insurance were stressing the point that the key could have been cloned, and they could steal the car again... Only reason i mentioned i live 80 miles from the area it was stolen is the odds that the person who stole the car, 1) has cloned the key (key and car have been recoevered, spoke to local vauxhall dealer told they would have to have it done by themselves, with proof of ownership etc...), 2) found out where i live (nothing in car to link to my home address) 3) travelled the 80 miles to try and steal it again.
    All of that just seems to many 'ifs'..

can see how its confusing now, thanks for the suggestions/thoughts

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think it's very unlikely to be stolen again (atleast not by the same people). However, if the key was cloned it may be given to someone else that may be very desperate for money, and all too willing to travel to find your car. But insurance will always have a note that you claimed it was stolen. So your insurance price might go up anyway.
    If it was up to me I would leave insurance to deal with it. Start saving for when the price does go up instead of paying out loads now to get everything replaced.
    Astra G 2.0l DTi 16v

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Even if you dont continue with the claim the fact that you reported your car stolen will show up when taking out policies for the next few years and will affect your price anyway so might as well just continue the claim

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    personally id get rid of the car. its never the same after someone else has had their mits on it