Thread: Mk4 Astra sxi weird noise.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Mk4 Astra sxi weird noise.

Ive asked this before but its still happening, basically i get a crunching like nosie when i go over speed bumps mainly when its cold but its loud, nothing is scraping as had ppl laying on floor near speed bumps etc, i had the drop links replaced as someoen on here said it could be that but its still happening even at 5mph, only really sounds like its the front of the car any ideas?? Its like a scraping crunching sound... weird i know.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Can you tell whether its when the front or rear wheels go over? Does it happen if you bounce the car when its stationary?

I would check its not the bushes in the suspension somewhere. The holes could've gone oval and cause a bit of movement in the struts or shocks. Not sure on the Astra specifically, but I've known other Vaux top mounts to groan or bushes in rear shocks to wear and cause play.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quite probably the front drop links need changed. When mine are failing they do the same thing. £10 a side on trade club

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Has the ride height recently been changed?
    I had to replace my front springs for MOT which raised the front end slightly ( and I had a lot of noise like a cross between squeeking and crunching over speed bumps. It turned out to be where the bushes were happy in their old position, they now needed wearing in to the new position - a little lubrication helps! It was always worse when it was cold and dry but they've settled in now and no more noise!
    Just a thought!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by heavybasshead View Post
    Ive asked this before but its still happening, basically i get a crunching like nosie when i go over speed bumps mainly when its cold but its loud, nothing is scraping as had ppl laying on floor near speed bumps etc, i had the drop links replaced as someoen on here said it could be that but its still happening even at 5mph, only really sounds like its the front of the car any ideas?? Its like a scraping crunching sound... weird i know.
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    Quite probably the front drop links need changed. When mine are failing they do the same thing. £10 a side on trade club
    Hes said he tried these mate

Same as said has it been lowered or raised recently? Check none of the arch liners are loose... Then its a case of checking the bushes.... is there any knocking at all?
    1.4 MK5 BEAST!

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Missed that, not a good day

The other one can be the anti roll bar bushes but mine have never been changed and the noise has always gone with changing the drop links.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just a standard car never lowered etc, arches are fine and not loose ill check the suspension bushes and anti rool bar bushes i think, its deffo as the front wheels go over normally when its cold mainly lol..

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Could just be tired shocks.... push down on the car then let go (do it on each corner) iirc it should "bounce" no more than twice... (1& a half is normal/new)
    1.4 MK5 BEAST!