Thread: Help please!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Post Help please!

Hi I wondered if any one could help me out here. Iv got a 2.0 16v SRi ( x20xev I believe) the other morning I started it up on the button but it was running so rough, when I reved the car shook and it had no go I had to pull over as I couldn't even pull out of a junction with out being dangerous, it had been raining heavy all night so i assumed it was the damp as when it heated up all went away.

Since then it's been raining on and off but not had the problem again! However when I start the car only for a few seconds I can really smell petrol so it's obviously running rich?! It doesn't last long but is beginning to concern me iv had no eml or anything. Any ideas welcome please.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That sounds like it's only running on 3 cylinders to me. That would explain the rough running, car shaking and petrol smell. I had the same problems some time ago. My car would do the same thing approx once or twice a month. If I gave the engine some revs (but not too many!) the 4th cylinder would kick in after 30 seconds or so.

Funnily enough I used to nearly always get the problem after I'd washed the car. It turned out to be a worn out cam shaft sensor. The sensor was replaced and the car has been fine since (and this was about a year ago).
    1999 Astra CDX 1.8 16v Auto Estate

14th December 2012 - 200,000 miles

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    141 Post(s)
    Quoted
    126 Post(s)
    Hi,
    When a car misfires, one can smell unburnt petrol,
    Dampness is a main cause of a misfire,
    your car as mentioned is probably firing on only 3 cylinders,
    occasionally maybe 4

If i were you, i would first spray my engine in a good coat of wd40 or a moisture repellant alike,

I am not at all familiar with the engine,
    however if you have engine electrical leads, it could well be shorting out "the repellant will stop this temporarily,

But you could find that a new set of plugs, may help,
    if the syptoms reoccur, then a new coil pack, or at least borrow one to try out,

Iam sure you will eventually solve the issue,

I hope i've helped a little

Bri

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers, I will spay WD40 tonight see if that helps the problem, it was Icey this morning started fine but didn't want to run or idle properly nearly stalled itself I gave it a few revs and instantly sorted itself out! I will then go for leads then coil pack!

As for the cam shaft sensor would it not do it all the time if it was a sensor? How much are these to buy and were can I get one from if the above fails?

Cheers for your help guys

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    New leads and a spray of wd40 as good as new start first time with no misfiring no matter the weather! Cheers for your help!