Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exhaust Help

Hi All,

I have a 1.9CDti sport hatch and am looking at changing the exhaust. If I'm being perfectly honest I'm not necessarily looking for performace gains, just a nice sporty sound - whats the best route to go?

I don't know much (if anything) about exhausts so any advice would be great.

I have seen the Miltek turbo back system - very nice, and am aware you can get pre-cat and just back boxes, straight through pipes, down pipes etc............. but what does all this mean?

As it is just a better sound I'm after I'm not too fussed on a full system if I could get what I'm after with just a back box for example....??

If I did go for turbo back, pre cat or back box, what would be the pro's and con's of each and are there any implications at MOT time?

Finally if you could recommend any specific brands/systems that would satisfy my needs I would be muchly grateful.

Thanks

Mark
    Astra H 1.9TDCi 16v SRi XP Sporthatch
    Complete ICE upgrade with custom boot install
    Cruise Control, Interior Door Handle Illumination

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As far as ive been told mate.

Decat - usualy makes you fail the emissions at m.o.t time. but also means a straight pipe with no restrictions which results in faster better flow for the exhaust gases to escape ,

Straight Centre Pipe - This take out the centre silencer which keeps the noise levels down but when i had a 1.3 cdti corsa there was no centre box so im not sure if that was just my diesel or if most are like that but removing this will give u a straight flow with no restrictions and makes the exhaust louder( i prefer to fit a custom back box with this as it didnt make a huge diff to my corsa 1.4 with the standard b/box.

backbox - theres baffles inside the backbox which makes it route the gases in a certain way to give back presure and to also silence the system, so a good custom back box or one from a company like miltek, remus ect would give the car extra perfomance.

If it was me id get a centre pipe and cut out the centre box and weld a straight bit of pipe ( or clamp) and get a nice custom back box made up ( people on here could recomend companys for you im sure) that would give you a nice sounding exhaust. search youtube to see what other people have done with diesels. ive seen a 5 door 1.9 on there and sounded awesome for a diesel :P

Or you could go the full way and get a new sports manifold, decat , centre pipe , backbox but would be quite noisy i would think