Thread: coupe turbos blowing up?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

coupe turbos blowing up?

been thinking about buyin a coupe turbo, but ive heard alot of people sayin they are unreliable, and the turbos are usless, engines blow up etc etc..

is this a common problem or somethng? dont want to be buyin in to something like this, whats the score?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    coupe turbo is a zlet engine, same as the sri-t and the gsi

Turbo's are an issue, but all depends on how they are treated. And if it's driven hard then probably could go pop. The whole turbo thing is a bit circumstantial as some have turbos going at 50k, some are up at 130k and still going strong. Oil restrictor bolts can be fitted to lower the pressure and protect seals but again this is a debate in itself.

Being honest i would say get one, better than a honda and a lot more comfortable with the power when required

Most people's issues seem to be running lean after a map and melting pistons. If it's a standard map this is less likely. I wouldn't say they were problematic apart from the rocker cover gaskets, they are utter crap.

Buy one and enjoy it
    GSi....boosting a' ower yer honda CTR, Vtec this!

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    It will all be down to how the cars looked after and serviced

I've had my coupe turbo for 7 years now and apart from 1 air flow meter the engines been reliable. Come to think of it so has the rest of the car
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What Autosparks said, history is a MUST with a zlet. It needs to have been looked after with regular oil changes and everything else that goes with owning a tubby.

The mileage can be altered very very easily so make sure it has past mot's, service schedule and receipts. A vauxhall history isn't a necessity, but some form of history is imperative. I got mine and had a good few courtenay and regal receipts. If it has receipts from some of the main tuners in britain then you can usually assume that it has had whatever it needed.....obviously never assume and always check everything out, but i know mine has had courts/regal parts and wants for absolutely nothing

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mines running 310bhp, only on it's second Turbo in 70k, and touch wood I have had no problems with the engine atall. Regular servicing is the key and don't drive it hard all the time! Everynow and again, maybe :P - 3 years ownership, loving it still!
    Coupe Turbo Evolution - 320ps

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    upgrading the turbo a decent option?

had quite a few turbo'd cars in the past,at the min i have a bmw 328, but im fancying something turbo'd again, and the price of the coupe, for their spec seems pretty good..

not bothered about mega power, wouldnt mind squeesing abit more power from it something like 230-240bhp id be happy with...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    upgrade turbo to hybrid spec and you should be good for 250+hp with other intake mods
    my ebay apexi air filter + adapter link:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...e=STRK:MESE:IT

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Also you can leave most of the stock parts and run a stage 1, should see around 235bhp with a decat/precat, hard boost pipe and iridium plugs. Still very reliable and not a lot of stress on the internals. And the MPG is a lot better on stage one than standard, so it's a no-brainer really

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have bros with coupes and one of them lasted 75k on oe turbo! its how u luk after it warm up cool down and service every 5k and ur onto a winner

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My tubby has just turned 51k, original zlet, no smoke out the back and boosting fine (touch wood)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast