I have surfed these forums and read loads about problem with the 1.6 8v Z16SE engine, but I can't find anything that relates directly to my problem.
The car is dangerous and is an acident waiting to happen. My missus has been in tears as other drivers blame her for the car failing.
I wondered if I simply detailed what is happening and listed the things that I have tried, maybe some of you kind guy's could please give me your opinion.
So, 2001 Astra 1.6LS 8v with a Z16SE engine..
1) Engine appears a bit hesitant, and a bit jerky under normal use.
2) Sometimes when accelerating the car jerks even more and appears to cut out.
3) When this problem occurs, all 3 of the orange warning lights flicker.
(Engine management, imobiliser, and the other one).
4) Car doesn't stop, just looses all power for a second or so.
5) Car does this every now and again, and sometimes not for a couple of weeks.
So, things I have done..
1) New Plugs.
2) New Battery.
3) Removed and tried to clean EGR valve. It was black, but didn't look to bad. Looked closed, but couldn't move the plunger.
4) Replaced EGR gasket.
5) Replaced a couple of hoses around inlet manifold that looked colapsed.
6) Removed plastic pipe from air cleaner and sprayed carb cleaner into Throtle housing. It looked shiny and clean.
7) Read fault codes. Nothing doing, completly empty.
I would really value your opinions on what is wrong.
The two thnigs that I have read loads about are..
a) EGR. Thniking of having it blanked and the ECU updated as appropriate.
b) Faulty ECU. Loads written about Astra ECU's being mounted in Engine bay and failing.
c) Coil pack. Seems to give some of the symptoms we are seeing.
What do you guy's think ?
Many thanks for your help, it is really appreciated.