Thread: tom tom in sun visor

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

tom tom in sun visor

I am thinking about attempting this mod to see how it goes. The idea is to fit the thinest tom tom in the sun visor and maybe have it so it can pivet so when i don't have the sun visor down i can simply spin the sat nav around.
    Question is, does this sound like a stupid idea? And what obsticles could i run into? I also want it wired into a permanent power supply so i don't have the wire hanging around. Any ideas and also does anyone know who will be able to do this for me as i will not have the technical skills to do this.
    Our bombs are smarter than the average high school student. At least they can find Kuwait.
    YOU CAN'T FLY WITHOUT SUPPLY

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sounds like an interesting project your considering!

Can't see why it wouldnt work, the obstacles you will need to work around for what i can think of are:

~ secure mounting of the tom tom, prob best get a spare visor from scrapyard and have a play.

~ the power button of the tom tom would need to be accesed. maybe need to open up and mody to create a situation where its always on.

~ the power connector for tom tom will prob stop the visor from closing nicely, pos chance of it coming out when visor opened/closed. maybe need to open up and modify so your 'new' wiring is connected to the back of the socket.

~ power supply, you would want to hard wire it to a switched live in the car, not too many of these about. depending on your headunit some have a switched 12v there. you could also wire it to a permanent live and put a switch in.

Take a risk and give it ago, good luck
    08 5Dr Design, De-badged, VXR Style pack, Window Tints

55 1.7cdti Astra Van

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sonds good take pics along the way could make an interesting thread. good luck

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    why not use a garmin sat nav the are on all the time as long as the power lead is plugged in i believe . you could put it on an on/off switch somewhere and run the cable down behind the drivers post panel

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    what am i letting myself in for. The visor bit is the easy bit, i will need some help from a sparky for the wiring lol.
    Our bombs are smarter than the average high school student. At least they can find Kuwait.

Status
    HID + LED Guru
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    really it sounds like a funky idea but really is it worth it?

its your sunvisor... i have the sat nav installed in my centre console and its ideal, always looking at it. Its easy to reach and view.

In your case you will need to lower your sat nav turn it on then adjust your setting for your route etc then place you sunvisor to a position you can see( which would be straight down for best viewing, but there will be 2 major problems: 1, your way too close to the sun visor 2, the sun visor will be obscuring your view unsafe)

so really would it be worth while?

by all means if you want to do it to say to people you have your sat nav in your sun visor go ahead i'm sure someone will like you for it.

ortherwise personally its kind of defeating the purpose of the sat nav being portable easy to reach read with being a distraction.

Steve
    Astra VXD
    rburgring - 10:55

Scottish Region

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That is a fair comment to make steve. I am always trying to think of ideas and thats why i post them here. If people tell me they are crap ideas then i won't do it. There are a lot wiser people out there than myself. The centre console sounds good but won't you lose your screen with mpg etc on it? If you want to keep it you then have to change all your stereo which looks like a pain if you want to keep the steering wheel controls working. Tell me if i am wrong lol.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Saw this on a billboard the other day, thinnest satnav in the world. May probably be the easiest to fit into the visor? http://www8.garmin.com/buzz/nuvi3700/

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You can just buy a car charger for it, then cut the cigarette lighter plug off and wire it to 12v switched live (and one to earth).

I dont think it would be good because it will be too close to your face, and focusing on it might be difficult especially if you're switching back to the road. I've had TV screens in sunvisors and had the same problem.

Personally I'd look at mounting it in the dash somewhere!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah i know what you are saying. How would you suggest mounting it in the dash. I don't want it to look plonked on there.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast