Thread: flywheel and clutch assemblies??

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

flywheel and clutch assemblies??

hi everyone...i have an astra 1.9 cdti on an 07 plate..with 48k on it... last week the clutch started to make an awful ratteling when depressed...it goes quiet again when released...so i took it to a good local garage who are suspecting the dual mass flywheel is on its way out.... they also advised i fit a new clutch at the same time as previous experiances have found the old clutches didn't seem to last after changing the flywheel...and it saves a later additional cost if it did go...so after pricing up at the agents (and collapsing at the price for parts only of £1021:08....) i am now looking round for a decent flywheel and clutch set up...any advice on where to get one and what the expected prices should be??

The local garage are saying the can supply a set up for around £500... plus fitting..plus vat... expecting the final bill to be around £900 ish..gulp...

any help on reducing this would be fantastic.

les...

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    will be hard to beat the £900 price as the dual mass flywheels are pricey on their own, when you then add the clutch kit and required labour to drop the subframe etc. don't go skimping on this too much, stick with quality parts or you may regret it

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Cheers for the prompt reply steve.... not 100% sure but i beleive the clutch kit the garage are talking about is a luk kit?? not sure about the flywheel..but they did say they wanted to keep with same if possible....another brand metioned was sachs?? but i haven't seen any kits or prices for any of these...

Will have to wait an see what figures they come up with regarding the kits and flywheels they mentioned...i have asked for as near a figure as possible to the final bill.... finaces are already tight having just payed for the insurance at start of november..grrr..

les..

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    LUK are excellent kits and also have good warranty should anything go wrong

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I've just had my clutch/flywheel changed after 96k labour was £344 6hrs work, got a Sachs flywheel from autovaux £264 and LUK 3 part clutch which I got for £40 from ebay new(got lucky as someone bought it but sold car before fitting it), then had £21 for gearbox oil and consumables.

So a total of £669 so well happy considering what most people have been paying

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just had a new gear box in my z19dth after 2 years and3 months, they advised me to do clutch so i have, kit cost £300 from vauxhall, obviuosly labour is covered as the gearbox is out. paying for a cheap clutch isnt a good idea.