Thread: Wiper Blade prob & Evans Halshaw

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Wiper Blade prob & Evans Halshaw

Hi Folks. My 08 plate Astra has developed a problem where the wiper blades hit the bottom of the windscreen.

Car is booked into Evans Halshaw at Hunslet Leeds tomorrow for this to be checked over.

They are telling me that if they do not find a fault, I have to pay £45 plus VAT.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Have you tried taking the bolts off the wiper arms and moving them up slightly?

Would be trying this first before taking it to the main stealer

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    STOP! Assuming it's the same as the older Astra's then all you do if lift/remove the cover at the base of the wiper arm, undo the bolt, and re-position slightly further up the screen. It's literally a 5 minute job.
    1999 Astra CDX 1.8 16v Auto Estate

14th December 2012 - 200,000 miles

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sark716 View Post
    They are telling me that if they do not find a fault, I have to pay £45 plus VAT.
    ...and that bit is taking the piss imo. I'd walk away straight away. If you're not confident then get a local independent garage to do it - they'll charge a lot less than £45!
    1999 Astra CDX 1.8 16v Auto Estate

14th December 2012 - 200,000 miles

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow WARDY25 On Twitter Add WARDY25 on Facebook
    93179151 wiper linkage by sound of it, done one here today under warranty
    ASTRA 'J' 330 SRI CDTI RST

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by p-a View Post
    ...and that bit is taking the piss imo. I'd walk away straight away. If you're not confident then get a local independent garage to do it - they'll charge a lot less than £45!
    It's Vauxhall Main stealer, of course it's taking the piss. It always is with them.

£45 + VAT and they will get the wee YTS boy, here's a socket set. Take that bolt off, move the big black metal bit up a bit and tighten it again. Then have the cheek to hump you dry for the privilege

I do sympathise as i know hee haw about mechanics but honestly give it a go yourself. it's just one nut, even loosen it a few turns, reposition the wiper up slightly and retighten. If it needs moved up more, redo again. Don't let the dealer rob you mate

sometimes they can be tight on the threads but don't be afraid to use some force. flip the arm up and turn it anti-clockwise to free it off. once it's not totally stuck simply set the height you want it and retighten the nut.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry, should have mentioned that I tried adjusting the wiper arms a few months ago. The problem is a lot worse.

I'll take my chances with the main dealer that it's a fault under warranty.

The car is 3 years old next spring, so will be taking it to a local garage after then.

I was wondering if it's a common fault.

Status
    Mentioned in
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gsi_10 View Post
    It's Vauxhall Main stealer, of course it's taking the piss. It always is with them.

£45 + VAT and they will get the wee YTS boy, here's a socket set. Take that bolt off, move the big black metal bit up a bit and tighten it again. Then have the cheek to hump you dry for the privilege

I do sympathise as i know hee haw about mechanics but honestly give it a go yourself. it's just one nut, even loosen it a few turns, reposition the wiper up slightly and retighten. If it needs moved up more, redo again. Don't let the dealer rob you mate

sometimes they can be tight on the threads but don't be afraid to use some force. flip the arm up and turn it anti-clockwise to free it off. once it's not totally stuck simply set the height you want it and retighten the nut.

I am sorry but you are very wrong here, all vauxhall techs are trained to a very high standard because vauxhall make all dealerships do this and if there a fault they will change it under warranty! Belive me they will want to change it rather than doing up bolts ect
    You be surpised how many garages rip people off more than dealerships!!
    Yes i agree 45 plus vat is high but again if the car booked in and then is found to be nothing wrong with the car then yes a charge would have to be made otherwise there no point in trading at all!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigphilbaby View Post
    I am sorry but you are very wrong here, all vauxhall techs are trained to a very high standard....
    I will refrain from starting world war two here.....I know of a couple who would have difficulty tying their own shoelaces, but fair enough, unfair to tar them all with the same brush.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well, the latest is, there is a fault with the wiper linkages. The repair under warranty as been approved by Vauxhall. But there could be a 10 day wait for the spares.

And they washed the car as well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast