Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

CD500 Navigation

Hi,

I have done a search but can't really find any reviews of the CD500 with sat Nav, so please forgive me if this is covered elsewhere.

I am looking at purchasing a new Astra SRi (J) to replace my H SRi. I'm trying to work out if it is worth getting the inbuilt satnav - is it any good compared to say a TomTom?

Vauxhall don't seem to provide much information on it - although I read somewhere that you have to use a SatNav CD - surely this isn't needed all the time?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You need the disc as it contains all the map info, so if you don't have the disc in then you can't use the nav.

Personally, I'd rather spend £200 on a Tomtom as opposed to £835 for the CD500
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The SatNav DVD is required all the time but goes in a SatNav slot so doesn't tie up the DVD player at all.

It's a pretty good system and nicely intergrated.

Is it worth £835 compared to TomToms £200.........Probably not but If I had the money when buying a new car, I'd still go for it!

Map updates come out yeraly for the Vauxhall system as well so it can be kept upto date.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The problem with the CD500 system is that it cannot have additional POI (Points Of Interest) installed on the maps. such as locations of your fav Fuel stops, Banks, Rest Areas, Pubs etc, to say nothing of Speed cameras.

I thought about adding it to my J, but opted to stay withy my good old TomTom 520 and use the wonderful Pocket GPS World database of Speed Cameras. (No I don't work for them, just a happy clean License holder!)
    Cheers

Richard

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the responses guys.

I'm not looking at buying from new, but rather nearly new with only a few miles on.

The two I am deciding between is a 1.7 sri (125) with satnav, bluetooth, 18" wheels and garage miles and a 2.0 sri (160) with no options and a few thousand miles (same-ish price).

My current one is a H 1.9CDTI (150)

Is the SatNav easy enough to follow? The TomTom has everything laid out perfectly - especially with the lanes on the new ones - just can't find any pictures of the Vauxhall one in action.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Out of the 2, go for the 2.0CDTi. you can always get a set of 18's to go on it then flog the 17's that are on it http://www.vauxhall-accessories.com/...ategory_id=429

Trust me mate, the 2.0CDTi is the engine to get.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My opinion is...........get a TomTom and a 1.4T.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazTD View Post
    Out of the 2, go for the 2.0CDTi. you can always get a set of 18's to go on it then flog the 17's that are on it http://www.vauxhall-accessories.com/...ategory_id=429

Trust me mate, the 2.0CDTi is the engine to get.
    Yeah I would prefer the 2.0 - i like the fact it's only £90 tax too unlike the £155 of my current one! but I want the extras - definitely the bluetooth (this can't be retro-fitted after can it?) and iPod controls....

I'm trying to convince myself that I won't miss the extra power of my 1.9 SRi XP... only 25bhp less on the 1.7

Arrgghhh I hate making decisions!

Quote Originally Posted by *desk* View Post
    My opinion is...........get a TomTom and a 1.4T.
    Diesel all the way i'm affraid!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You don't need the CD to be in the unit to use the Nav, it has 1GB of memory and you transfer the maps from CD to the unit once, then leave the disc at home. It only has one slot and thus once transferred you can use it for CD's, MP3's and potentially DVD MP3's - though newer ones seemed to have stopped being able to do this.

Compared to a TomTom

Pro's -its all integrated - no wires, no mark on windscreen, no pluggin it in/out etc, no risk of the car getting broken into to nick it. Bigger (7") screen. Fully integrated sound, music is turned down and voice is over the top. Traffic is built in and it has Lane guidance etc. Full Ipod integration. Did I mention its all integrated?? :-)

Con's - no additional POI's, no Speed cameras, map updates are expensive unless you can find friends, with a new J or Insignia you can borrow the update disk from. No 3D maps, only top down. I found it quite fiddly to use - its not a touchscreen, you have to use the fiddly center button/4 way controller on the unit. you can't even use the steering wheel buttons. :-(

Go to www.vauxhallproductforum.co.uk and find the Astra J infotainment manual, all the instructions and capabilities are in a downloadable pdf. CD400/ CD500 and Bluetooth

CD500 Nav over a std CD400 - you get NAV, USB port, colour screen, and a shark fin aerial. Otherwise the radio/CD/MP3 functions are identical, even the speakers and output - 20W.

The Bluetooth AFAIK, cannot be retrofitted, so you would need a bury/parrot/nokia kit to be installed.

If the 1.7 is a post April 2010 model, and thus 119g/CO2, then its £30 a year for tax.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bs_ View Post
    I'm trying to convince myself that I won't miss the extra power of my 1.9 SRi XP... only 25bhp less on the 1.7
    The J is a lot heavier aswell mate.

IMO it's not worth compromising on the engine you want for a couple of optional extra's.

Have a butcher's here mate: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/u..._to_1_year_old
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast