Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Flickering battery symbol & instruments/speedo/tacho failure

Hi Guys,
    Over the last three days I have experienced a strange, intermittent fault on my 2000 reg. 1.7CDTi van.
    Driving along at normal road speeds the battery/alternator charge warning light flickers on and off and the speedo, tacho and all instruments switch off and on. This doesn't happen every time the warning light flickers. The steering pump has gone off a couple of times during these periods and the airbag warning light has illuminated a couple of times as well. The engine continues running with no loss of power, indicators and lights are fine, radio plays etc. The odometer still increases and clock keeps proper time. Having had a bout of these symptoms the van will then drive for another 20/30 miles normally.
    I had a new battery and alternator fitted 9 weeks ago and am getting 14.4 volts charging. All battery & alternator connections are tight and have checked all the connectors/plugs I can get to. Have done a pedal test and just get 0100, undiagnosed fault.
    Any ideas???

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds like an alternator problem to me... was it a brand new alternator or 2nd hand/re-cond?
    1.4 MK5 BEAST!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Marc,
    The alternator is brand, spanking new and was changed at the same time with a new battery. Having read some of the old threads concerning alternator/charging problems I was forming the same opinion, especially as the PAS pump has failed a couple of times. It doesn't do it all the time though which is what confuses me. I have checked when going over a bumpy bit of the road to see if that brought on the light. I was stuck in a traffic queue this morning, the battery light flickered on and I revved the engine. It did disappear but I am not sure if it was connected to the increase in revsas it is so spurious.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hmmm its an odd one.... very unlikly but you could have a dodgy alternator (rare with a new 1 - but it happens!)

Double & tripple check all of the connections to the battery & alternator plus any earth wires in the engine bay etc.... Thing with electrics is the fact its intermittant which makes it harder to find!!!!

Best of luck mate...
    1.4 MK5 BEAST!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds like the alternator to me. Those are exactly the symptoms that i had when mine was on its way out. Funnily enough, I had mine replaced and the new one failed within 6 months! I replaced it again, and so far so good.

Are you sure it was a new alternator? A new unit will cost £200 - £300. Anything cheaper will be a recon unit or a cheap copy.
    1999 Astra CDX 1.8 16v Auto Estate

14th December 2012 - 200,000 miles