Thread: Blindspots?...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Blindspots?...

Set out at about half 1 this afternoon to drop my girlfriend at work a mere 25 miles away - mainly dual carriageway, but during the whole journey, whilst motoring up the fast lane averaging maybe 80? 5 times, both there and back I had people trying to come out of the slow lane onto me when I myself were roughly level with the back of their car?

Do people just not check? Heavy braking at 80 always makes my heart race...
    SRi 1.9 CDTi 150 - loving life...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Slow down then or expect things like that to happen. People are idiots and need to be treated as such, and if you assume that they're not going to do daft things then you're in trouble! It doesn't matter who's fault a crash is, if they mash you into a post at that speed you'll be eating through a tube.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I always look out for them actually turning their head to look out of the window, especially if their joining from a slip road, if they don't it's time to expect the worst.
    Have to admit it's a lot easier sat at 53 in a scania though, if they hit that I wont be getting bounced off the barriers!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Treat everyone like they can't drive, at least then your more aware yourself
    >>Diary<< Status: ...........Slow and Steady.... may update more often...
    Last Updated: 27/10/2014

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyalWithCheez View Post
    Slow down then or expect things like that to happen. People are idiots and need to be treated as such, and if you assume that they're not going to do daft things then you're in trouble! It doesn't matter who's fault a crash is, if they mash you into a post at that speed you'll be eating through a tube.

+1.

Since I have started riding a motorbike I have noticed a lot more idiots on the road.

I now pay more attention to other drivers since riding, even in the car and its unreal how many people can not drive or are pure stupid

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think motorcycle riders or people who have the things that motorcycle riders have learned hammered into them are usually far more aware drivers. There's nothing to wake you up like the freezing cold wind, loneliness and vulnerability

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Too many times have people cut me up.
    I had my CBT a few years ago and I always check my blind spot. Not so much for bikes, but for idiots who love astras so much, they want to get inside one.
    I've paid and displayed...
    Have you joined AOC?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow hotzafira On Twitter
    i have always drove and planned my driving as if i need an escape route,should the worst happen i can drive my car throught the escape route to safety amazeing how many idiots you do see when you start to look

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by munkie View Post
    +1.

Since I have started riding a motorbike I have noticed a lot more idiots on the road.

I now pay more attention to other drivers since riding, even in the car and its unreal how many people can not drive or are pure stupid
    You know what, i've been saying for years that some form of motor cycling should be part of a car test, they'd all see so much more when they're driving. Some shit driver in a car, and you could well be dead.
    Back to blind spots, if you're being pulled out on at 80, does it not make sense also to go faster, then you'll be past before they pull out and because you've passed you're bike test you'll be looking that much further in front of you that you will already have seen the cop van at the side of the road.
    You can always tell the ones that are about to pull out on you anyway, they seem to scream it at you

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Speed up and go past faster? Hmm...

Can't disagree that there are times when additional speed is safer (e.g. to avoid something) but in all honesty, if the road is dangerous to drive on at 80mph due to people pulling out then drive at 70mph. Simple.

Other things to consider are having your lights on at all times to increase visibility if you don't already.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast