Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Courtesy front lamp not working

Hi friends,

I have a problem on my courtesy front lamp, that is not working. I have checked the fuse and it seems to be ok. Where can I find a probable malfunction?

Kind regards

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    loose connection , bulb?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have check the bulb and it is ok..

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi there,

I can only assume you have the standard interior lamp, so here goes.

First thing to do is double check the fuse. Even if you take it out and it looks ok, it still might be broken. Replace it with a new fuse and see if that cures the problem.

If not, pull out the interior lamp and you'll see a Red wire and a Grey wire attached to it. The Red wire is the permanent +12V feed and the Grey wire connects to the Multitimer and controls the on/off state of the lamp by changing between 0V and +12V. More on that later.

First you should check the state of the Red wire: Grab a multi-meter or test-light and connect one lead to a known good Earth. I'll usually use something easy to connect to on the body, like the screw on the door contact switch. Connect the other lead to the Red wire and the meter should read +12V. If it does, then go straight to the steps further down that look into the Grey wire.

If you don't get +12V on the Red wire, check the fuse box...Remove the fuse for the interior lamp and grab your multi-meter once again. Connect one lead to earth as you did before and connect the other side to one of the terminals that the fuse plugs in to. If you get +12V there, move to the next paragraph, if not try the other terminal that the fuse plugs in to. If you get +12V there, move to the next paragraph. If not, you've got a problem somewhere further back in the wiring. (If this is the case, let us know and I can dig through some wiring diagrams).

So, if you've got +12V on one of the terminals at the fuse, you need to check that the +12V has a path up to the light. Change your multi-meter into Resistance mode. Connect one lead to the fuse terminal that DIDN'T show +12V and the other lead to the Red wire at the interior lamp. You should see a very small resistance, say about 0.1Ω or so. If you get more that this, or the multi-meter screen doesn't change when you connect the leads, you've got an issue with the red wire between the fuse box and the lamp.

If you got +12V on the Red wire in the very first step, then the problem may lie with the Grey wire. Firstly, grab the multi-meter and stick it in Voltage mode. With the door open, connect one lead to Earth and the other to the grey wire, you should see a very small Voltage, about 0.15V or so. Shut the door and wait for a minute or so (or as long as it takes for the interior lamp to usually go out) and check the Voltage once again, you should see +12V at the Grey wire.

If not, you more than likely have a problem with the car's Multitimer...

Let us know how you get on with these checks and take it from there.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Dear friend,

I have made what you have told me to do, anda everything was ok, just one small detail.

When measuring the grey wire, it was supposed with the door open to have a minimum voltage about 0.1V or something, but with the door open and close it appears to have +12V, should it be related with that?

kind regards

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Could it possible be the multitimer?

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    It's always a possibility
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    How can I verify if the multitimer is broken?

Thank you for your help

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Check you have a input from the door pin switch wires and check for the output incase it's a broken wire somewhere. This is where wiring diagrams will come in handy
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Does anyone know where the multitimer is located? this controls the time to turn off the courtesy light off?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast