Thread: 1.7 td x17dtl ecu

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1.7 td x17dtl ecu

Trying to trace the crank sensor cable which passes through the left hand side wing and cant see where it goes from there.

I thought the Diesel Control Unit (Haynes term) was located in front of the left wheel, now there is a 'device' there, but nowhere near enough cables and plugs for an ECU, any ideas of the Units location?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I just had a look through TIS 2000 at all the components and it does indeed show that unit under the left wheel housing (unlike Haynes they do call it the engine control unit).

Doesn't look like a massive wiring harness - looks like two of those medium-sized wiring harnesses attach to it.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Paul, that's exactly what I found under the left wheel arch, but the wiring diagram shows a control unit with 2 plugs and 30 to 40 wires connected, whereas I would estimate the unit under the left wheel has maybe 10 to 15
    Another post on here suggested under the right side of the engine, I'll have to have another look in the daylight!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    hmmm, sometimes I've seen different layouts indicated for certain components in left hand vs. right hand drive vehicles, but in this case the ECU is shown only under the left wheel housing.

I can't see why Haynes would indicate so many more wires to the connectors. Who knows? But hey I just managed to pull up a wiring diagram for your ECU - I counted 48 inputs to the ECU (doesn't necessairly mean 48 wires though)...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Very good point, although I would expect to see the shielded cable for the sensor in one of the connectors and its not there, will do more investigating.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    You would think so wouldn't you? You mean you're looking for it by colour? I see grey-red, grey-black and brown - does that sound right?

Regarding all the extra wiring possibilities, I can see points for a few items that you may or may not have on your vehicle like cruise control, electronic stability control, air conditioning. I wouldn't know what normally came with an Astra G X17DTL. And there are a couple of others that indicate they are for the X20DTL.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes sounds right, the grey/black is showing no resistance to earth and I think thats causing my fault so I'm trying to trace the wire back to find the break/replace it. At the weekend I'll jack up the van and remove the wheel arch liner to give me a better view of where the harness goes.
    Good point about the options, I'll go back over the wiring diagram and see.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Out of interest Paul, whereabouts in TIS2000 did you get the image of the unit under the left wing?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Service info - standard info - fuel injection system - engine, engine attaching parts, engine control unit. Good general description of all components in the system and diagram showing ECU location.

-also under that heading, engine compartment survey, shows location of each of the components including a smaller picture of the ECU

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ah, that explains the confusion, I have been looking at the 'cooling unit' control module which is located in front of left wheel, whereas ECU is located above left wheel, will get it jacked up and wheel removed on Sunday, thanks again Paul.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast