Thread: Replace oil pump and possibly more or swap engine?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Replace oil pump and possibly more or swap engine?

Following on from this post - basically my car was run with no oil and now sounds like an old diesel tractor.

So I don't know whether to buy a complete new engine (offered one for 800) or to let garage try to fix my engine. The garage has also found out that the engine is not the car's original (off topic: was the seller obliged to tell me that before I bought it?)

The garage want to replace the oil pump first as the oil pressure is low... then I've been told the hydraulic lifters might need replacing as well and all this still might not fix the problem...

Advice needed please!!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'd be inclined to go for the new lump if the rest of the car's worth spending that much on, as it'll cost about the same to rebuild the damaged one if the rings and bores need doing too.

re engine not being the car's original, it's up to the buyer to check the numbers against the v5 and ask questions or walk away tbh.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the seller dosnt need to tell you anything
    unfortunatly its buyer beware!

The oil pump can be changed very quickly in a 2.2 as its on the side of the engine and easy to get to.
    TBH it shouldnt need changing, its a very simple but higly efficent design (but the bypass could be stuck open)

Have the garage checked the timing chain & tensioner yet?
    Astra Z22SE 200.8 Bhp

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Right I paid out for the garage to find out for definite what was wrong... £200 later and apparently it's nothing to do with the oil running dry that was just a symptom...

The cam caps werenít tightened properly (probably when someone took a look at or fitted previous engine) meaning cam shaft had a 3mm wide gap causing the engine to lose oil pressure and cylinder head to be damaged. Itís also the reason the car was burning oil so fast. The cam shaft is black from being burnt due to lack of oil, theyíll be metal flakes in the engine and the cylinder head will need replacing... all of which cost a LOT more than a new engine. The garage said the carís been run like that for a lot longer than Iíve had it.

Now will I have any come-back to the seller?? My dadís telling me I can take him to small claims court but I donít know what to do!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    141 Post(s)
    Quoted
    126 Post(s)
    I realy sympathise, and almost agree with what has already been said,
    I believe unfortunatly that you will not get anywhere persuing a claim against the seller,
    (sold as seen)

However not all people unsympathetic,
    I suggest you polightly approach the seller with your complaints and ask him if he can help out in the cost of a replacement engine,

I sold my vectra diesel a few yrs back now , the car was good, but he booted it up the motorway, and broke the engine,after owning it for three weeks,
    I was not obligated to help him with the cost of repairs but did so.

Bri