Thread: 1.7td 1998 R won't start!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Angry 1.7td 1998 R won't start!

Ok so i bought my astra about a month ago with slow starting problem, it took about 10-15secs to start, i blindly just bought the car thinking it would be an easy glow plug change??? I have since changed the glow plugs but this changed nothing, the car does crank over and over but just wont start until eventually the battery dies, i then stuck the leads on it from my work van and jumpstarted it, this took a very small amount of time to start my car, literally instant like you would expect. Since this i havent been able to start the car on the key, its p**sed me off beyond belief beause i know ive been done over! My brother in law is a mechanic and has been popping round in the evenings to have a look at it to no avail, he has put 2 seperate scanners on it which wouldn't speak to the car at all except for the airbags???? He is now dumbfounded and thinking fuelpump? But what i dont get is why does the car start immediately when being jumped?? Please someone shine me some light and let me know if i should burn this crap! Thanks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hi there rikastaff and welcome to the forum,

Sorry to hear that your new Astra is pi**ing you off, but as it will start up properly under certain circumstances, it sounds as though it will be a fixable problem. Think of it as a challenge to sort it out.

Could you tell us whether that is the GM or the Isuzu engine? The glow plug systems are somewhat different.

Also, in 1998 there both MK3s and MK4s with X17DTL engine but these had different fuel injection pumps.

Cheers, Paul

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Paul thanks for the reply, i'm pretty certain its the gm engine and it is a mk4, hope this helps to help me

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    OK, the 1998 MK4 GM engine is like my MK3 X17DTL except that there is a glow plug control unit next to the battery - aluminium fins plus a wiring harness connector.

I was looking at a few on eBay just now. I wonder if somehow the extra umpff provided by jumpstarting is enough to overcome some problem with the control unit. Have a look at that and check the connector at least.

I guess you could also just check the coolant temp sensor connection to make sure its in good shape and connected well.

It does sound like it must be some electrical issue as it was improved by jumpstarting. I can't seem to pull up any other info regarding the system, fuses or relays. I would suspect someting to do with that glow plug control unit...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok paul thanks for that, this may make some sense too becuse when i got home the night i bought the car, i found another glow plug control unit in the glove box so i dont know wether its benn replaced with a working one or another duff one but i will get the bro in law to check that out.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    ah now that is interesting. not sure how you can test them with a multimeter as you can with old fashioned relays. if all else fails you might have to splash out for a new one. there were a couple on eBay maybe cheaper from some other supplier.

This one on eBay (currently 16 quid) lists other engines but if you compare the part # on the box with that of other listings you will see the MK4 X17DTL listed

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GLOW-PLUG-TIME...item33621384ee

(confusing as they then state a different part# than what's on the box - if interested I guess you would have to ask them about that)

I wouldn't buy a used one or there may still be problems... then again, you could pick up this used one for 14 pounds and they claim its is in working order

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vauxhall-glow-...item2a0b7ef871

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My bro in law is coming round tomorrow as he says he has managed to pick up a scanner they use at vauxhall, he hopes this will read more than just my airbags , thanks for the links by the way paul

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This problem makes me think it is a bad earth or air getting into the fuel. Take a jump lead from your neg battery teminal and clip the other end to a good earth on the engine, if this tempory earth you have made works then trace the earth leads to the body for corrision or damage. Make sure your injector spill off pipes are not leaking and pulling air into the sytem. Other things that can also cause this problem are the crank sensor or the more expensive EDU. Don't give up hope its proberly somthing simple.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I had thought air leak, but I think the fact that a jump start results in instant starting kind of rules out the common air leak problem.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Paul my thinking is 10-15 seconds to start is excessive and could well be caused by air in the lines, the fact that another fully charged battery and resulting improved turn over starts the engine would help purge out any remaining air. Glow plugs are a possibility but not if the engine is warm, even if cold the high pressure generated in the bores with extended cranking will heat up the fuel introduced into the bore and therefore improve atomisation of the fuel and thus starting, athough I can understand the previous owners or anyone elses thinking that the glow plugs may be at fault.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast