Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Valve Stem Seals

Hello,

My pre-loved astra, currently sitting doormant in my back yard, needs a little attention.
    Its a '98 Sport 1.6.

New engine in, but seems the new engine loves to throw out BLUE smoke on cold. and driving for about 5 mins then it seemas be ok.
    Research tells me that it could be valve stem seals, although no leakdown test has been carried out to confirm this. Will such test confirm it?

Come on, realisticly, the car is worth little value and I spent too much on it, spesh with putting another engine in myself, so how hard is it to replace them?

I dont want the engine out the car again, so its an in car job. As far as I know, just a valve spring compressor is all I need, but obviously the camshaft has to come out, I aint too confident in playing around with the internals, but at the moment I aint driving it, so I think it's worth a go, what ya think?

Any help would be appreciated

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    stem seals are very easy to do mate, take head off, stem seals are in the top part, pull em off with some plyers, seating the new ones is were you have to be careful, but a bit of lubricant on them so they slide nicely down the valve and i personally used a socket to push it down / ensure it was down to the bottom (socket sits on the outer metal edge), mite be worth reseating your valves too in the process and plugs could be caked too if you burning oil

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    oh and price wise, if you can do it all yourself and have the tools, then parts = new headgasket set and bolts or just a new headgasket + bolts + stem seals and up to you if you risk the timing belt...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks very much mate, I'll be sure to have a go at this. Aint exactly got much to lose to be honest.

Much appreciated

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freestyler View Post
    Thanks very much mate, I'll be sure to have a go at this. Aint exactly got much to lose to be honest.

Much appreciated
    i felt like that after doing everything you pretty much said too... 1.6 8v mk4 astra, headgasket piston rings stem seals everything, stem seals failed again a few weeks later... went to go again and the block was ******* so head bolts wouldnt go in... scrappy for another block, valves reseated, stem seals put on as "nicely" as possible lol, everything cleaned and put back on and headgasket etc etc and so far, touch wood, all good!

after you do so much, it probably works out more cost efficient to just do the little bit more than sell / give up lol

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mines a 16v. So does the head really need to be completely removed, I was thinking I could have got to them with just the rocker cover off?

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by freestyler View Post
    Mines a 16v. So does the head really need to be completely removed, I was thinking I could have got to them with just the rocker cover off?
    not too sure with the 16v then mate, i've heard there is a way of doing them without, a particular tool for the valve springs i assume, maybe someone else can shed some light on this