Thread: Astra 1.7DTi Battery Light Flashing Fault Code 0563

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra 1.7DTi Battery Light Flashing Fault Code 0563

Hi there folks having a major headache with my 1.7 DTi at the moment. Battery light was flashing but now stays solid and its returned fault code 0563. Code 0563 is system voltage high!!!!!

I'll try to summarise the story so far to this point now. Vacuum pumps was leaking for nearly a year and gubbed the alternator eventually so purchased another with the claim that it was brand new and not factory recon.

Now i replaced the alternator on Thursday and i was up and running again had it going all day and done the best part of 200 miles on friday with no problem. However after extremely bad weather and alot of puddles i stoped the car and went to start it again and it was hard to start. Eventually i managed to start it but there was now a problem with it afterwards.

Every gauge on the dash and the lcd for the mileage would intermittently work then die then work then die along with the power steering. All other electrics e.g. windows, radio, lights etc were working A ok. Drove it up the road a bit to get it somewhere i could take a closer look but on the way there obviously with the steering solid and my gauges being tempermental the batterly light started flashing. It is now staying on solid with the EML.

Read the codes to see if anything had been registered and it gave me 0563, which is system voltage high. Easiest thing we can think of here is the voltage regulator in the alternator or some other part of the alternator has failed even though it is brand new.

At some point one of my head light blew possible from a surge so at the moment until i can get the AA to look at it were thinking there was a surge or that the voltage regulator has blew and gubbed the headlight and the fluctuation in voltage is resulting in the gauges working and then jumping about a bit then chucking it this would also explain why the system has picked up a high voltage warning due to a surge.

Really im clutching at straws here till i can get a closer look at it but with the battery light staying on it suggests the alternator is not charging the system. I should also say that now the battery light is solid the gauges are working fine maybe cos there running from the voltage off the battery but the steering it still not working and i assume this is because theres no voltage from the alternator to allow it to switch on.

Any help with this issue would be appreciated as we've not seen anything like this before. Hoping that stripping the alternator and taking it back and exchanging it will get me up and running again but if anyone has had similar problems i'd be greatful for advice.

many thanks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    really aint got the energy to read all that thread but can presume your alternator is over charging hence the light and that fault code

over charging is just as bad as under charging, in fact its worse - can fry your battery and other electrical components

get it on a multi meter pronto and measure the voltage at idle and fast idle etc

should be kicking out no more than 14.4v

if it is.... then take the alternator back if u can!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    OK THANKS FOR THE INFO BUDDY!!!

However AA came out to me this morning as they were gonna sent a local garage last nite but im not impressed with local garages cos they just wanna recover you and not check what wrong with your car.

Any way the AA guy checked my voltage at the battery when running and it was 11.16 or summin round there so he then checked the alternator output and that was the same. After changing the battery to get me recovered home and the one he took out had settled he tested the battery on a digital battery tester. Battery was registering as in good condition just slightly drained and was registering 460 ccv. Provided me with the print out to prove it was not the battery. Conclusion here was that the alternator was goosed even though it was brand new.

Seems the flashing battery light was the alternator fading in and out of a working state before what looks like a final surge in power before it packing up, which then caused the light to be constant and the fault code for high voltage to be registered.

AA guy reckoned what i was thinking was probably right and the voltage regulator has packed up. So i took it back to the place a bought it and the guy replaced it for another unit no problem.

No the new one is fitted and everything is running well again!!!!!!!!!