Thread: front suspension (Mk 4)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

front suspension (Mk 4)

anyone know how ya wud tell the top strutt bush was worn? had the wheel off doesn't seem to be any thing wrong around the bottom ball joint or track rod, anti roll bar! just getin an annoying knock on un even roads which is about every road around!!

Status
    Moderator Friend
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    best way would be to take the shock off completely, but if your lazy just shine a torch up and have a good feel would be quite obvious if it was worn though. maybe your shock has gone?
    MK5 1.7 CDTI OWNER AND AN ESTABLISHED MEMBER OF THE DARK SIDE!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    drop links most common thing easy to change
    mine use to knock on uneven roads but not so much on speed bumps .. changed them and no more knocking

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    id double check the drop links and the ball joint on the end of the wishbone

both can be easy to miss straight away so double check

both are a doddle to replace - the latter being a choice between drilling out the rivets on the old ballkjoint and replacing it with a new item with nuts/bolts supplied.... or replace the entire wishbone

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks GeordieBandit (PS I like you!) and you too Corsa Joe! I had exactly the same problem, a noise like a clunking exhaust pipe when going over any slightly uneven road but nothing on a smooth one.My Astra has only 14K on the clock and is otherwise immaculate.My MOT garage could not find anything and a mechanic drew-in breath through his teeth before reeling-off a long list of possible causes.After reading your posts I took a chance and bought the Drop-links from a Vauxhall service centre/dealer (who incidentally feined any knowledge of this problem).LOW AND BEHOLD the clunking is gone...HOORAY I am so pleased I could jump for joy.Thank you Astra Owners Club.