Thread: Hesitating on low fuel

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hesitating on low fuel

Hey all just a quick one i want to see if anyone can shed any light, Ive got a gsi mapped at red.dot all is fine with the car i normally never let it get below quarter of a tank but the when i do it seems to hesitate pop & bang from the exhaust and then take off. Its like you hit a brick wall and then go again. Anyone got any ideas ?

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    fuel pump struggling mate, get a walbro 255lph or similar in there, also change the filter when you do it

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if its the same problem as i have on my vectra as soon as i get to 1/4 tank its starts spluttering ,hesitating ,cutting out ,over 1/4 tank its runs perfect .
    the problem is the swirl pot in the tank ,it will be cracked which means a new tank ,mines been like it 2 yrs now and ive learnt tio live with ,ive got a spare tank ,just ant be arsed to change it lol

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Is your guage reading correctly, may not be as much in the tank as what guage is actually reading. Maybe fuel pump not reaching the right amount of pressure to keep the fuel line fully primed. As it only done this since the remap, if so just give them a ring. Sure someone will be along with more knowledge fella.

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The needle reads less when i know there is more if that makes sense. I changed them for red needles and when the tank is brimmed its just under full. And I had it mapped back in january and never really noticed it until a month or so ago. I thought about the fuel pump might be at its limit but why only on low fuel and not all the time ?

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    cars shouldnt be run on under a 1/4 of a tank although we all do it. when mine was mapped to 3.5 i had a few little niggles, mainly a dip in power when low on fuel because the fuel pump couldnt keep up with the demand of the new map, a new walbro later and all the niggles went. for £80 i think its a worth while investment even on a std car, after all the average fuel pump will be 8 yrs old and covered around 100k now.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    When under 1/4 of a tank.. you may have far less petrol that the car leads you to believe... certainly not worth booting it about under those circumstances. I learned a harsh lesson as I let my tank get low during a run to work, thought nothing of it until I was coming home. Decided to drive home on what I had in the tank, hoping to make it to a petrol station.. Car ran out fuel a 17.30pm during rush hour traffic on a busy dual carriageway nice.. Your fuel pump is probably trying to pump more fuel than what is available especially under hard driving circumstances.. like boost..
    Star Silver SRI Turbo..'Red.Dot Reloaded'..Cybox Precat, Cybox Catback SS Exhaust..K&N Panel Filtered...9Ltr EDS SMIC!!.....

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by afcbadam View Post
    cars shouldnt be run on under a 1/4 of a tank although we all do it. when mine was mapped to 3.5 i had a few little niggles, mainly a dip in power when low on fuel because the fuel pump couldnt keep up with the demand of the new map, a new walbro later and all the niggles went. for £80 i think its a worth while investment even on a std car, after all the average fuel pump will be 8 yrs old and covered around 100k now.
    What a load of shite, if they were not meant to run on under a quarter of a tank, then surely the fuel outlets on petrol tanks wouldn't be at or near the bottom. I run my zaf gsi around the quarter to empty all the time, 1 litre of fuel = 1kg weight, your just paying more money to carry fuel about.
    If the OP only has this problem under a Q, stay above it

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow WARDY25 On Twitter Add WARDY25 on Facebook
    same prob as me and i have uprated pump, crap rolling road figures saturday morning due to lack of fuel, on with testing this week and another rolling road go on thursday morning with plenty of v power in.

doesnt like 6000rpm in 4th with under 1/4 of a tank, learned my lesson hopefully now this week for being tight all time
    ASTRA 'J' 330 SRI CDTI RST