Thread: File sharing

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

File sharing

Does any know how to set this up on a wireless network. I got it to work once for about 10 mins and never been able to since.

I just want to be able to access all my PC files (Win 7) on my laptop (xp). What is the easiest way to do this?

Alternatively, is there any good software where I can just control my PC using my laptop. So I can use photoshop, FTP etc etc without re-installing all programs on laptop.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    haha, whatever the problem is, i wouldnt use limewire haha
    G t c

soon!

Status
    Bit busy... be back soon!
    Drives
    Astra Coupe 2.2
    Mentioned in
    133 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Follow AndyH On Twitter Add AndyH on Facebook Add AndyH on Google+
    Quote Originally Posted by buckle View Post
    Does any know how to set this up on a wireless network. I got it to work once for about 10 mins and never been able to since.

I just want to be able to access all my PC files (Win 7) on my laptop (xp). What is the easiest way to do this?

Alternatively, is there any good software where I can just control my PC using my laptop. So I can use photoshop, FTP etc etc without re-installing all programs on laptop.
    You could try VNC in one of it's various flavours for remote control.
    Actively proving that post counts mean jack sh*t since 1971

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you wont be able to use programs on your laptop if their not installed but you can access files. simply set up a home network trough your router, on win seven and xp youl find it in control panel and network,
    Vauxhall Astra 2.0 SRI - quote "Why the f**k have u had a 2.0 astra" ermmm "its quicker than my 1.6 astra lol"

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    tried doing it through windows endless times. got it working once, never been able to since.

Will have a look for VNC. Guess thats like the windows remote assistance type thing? Need something like that which will work over the LAN rather than web based.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Win7 by default may have the Remote Desktop enabled - find the IP of the Win7 PC (Start > Run > ipconfig), then on XP choose Start > All Programs > Accessories > Remote Desktop (I think), enter the IP of the Win7 PC and see if it'll work.

I assume Win7/XP Home versions have Remote Desktop, only ever use Professional versions.

You can share folders via Win7, it has the new 'Home Group' feature for doing this which is in Control Panel > Network and Internet > Home Group. This has options in to share documents (which is what you want to do) and lets you view the Home Group password which I suspect you've forgotten or never set.

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Home wont have the client only daemon. You'd need to install it.

TightVNC offers the smallest footprint in terms of memory usage and cpu utilisation if you want to go down that route

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    cheers, have got ultraVNC installed and working. lot better than I imagined it would be as well. Not much slower than real time TBH.

Can now edit photo's and website from the laptop, without needing to install any of the needed programs or moving files backwards and forwards

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hasn't limewire shut down?
    Be an optimist - at least until they start moving animals in pairs to Cape Canaveral.

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    was working ok last time I tried it. Its dreadful though TBH, so hard to find what you actually want in the correct format + transfer speeds are hopeless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast