Thread: My experience with Tesco Momentum 99

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My experience with Tesco Momentum 99

Waste of money, complete shit to be honest.
    I read about it on this forum in a thread where someone said it has increased their mileage by 100+ in a tank, and gave this as proof

http://www.tesco.com/momentum99/file...uel-Report.pdf

As i always buy the cheapest petrol, i thought id give it a go.
    Ive ran two full tanks of it to make sure any leftover standard petrol was used. Its a 1.4 16v 5 door astra g. Driving style and routes have all been the same as normal. Full tank, petrol light flashing at around 365-370 miles. Exactly the same as when i use the cheaper petrol.

Conclusion - Waste of money, no performance gain and no economy gain. Stick with the cheapest supermarket petrol you can find unless you have an engine designed for higher octane fuels and/or is mapped for specific octane.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    It'll make no difference at all to that engine, there is no benefit from the increased RON for you at all. So, given it isn't designed for standard/lower power engines, how can you make and then justify such a statement?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    I think you answered your own post with the last part if I am honest:

"Stick with the cheapest supermarket petrol you can find unless you have an engine designed for higher octane fuels and/or is mapped for specific octane."

Not being funny but I don't really see that its going to make much difference to a 1.4 engine anyway. I have used Shell V-Power in the past in my 1.4 H, and made no difference in terms of power. Only noticeable difference was around 30-50 miles more per tank. I also noticed as well that the engine ran alot smoother, especially from cold in the morning during the winter months, but no noticeable differences in performance. If it did affect performance then it was very minimal.

Lets face it, standard 1.4s are hardly built for power and speed and performance anyway.
    Astra sold ... replaced with a Skoda ... soon to be replaced with another Vauxhall

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    It'll make no difference at all to that engine, there is no benefit from the increased RON for you at all. So, given it isn't designed for standard/lower power engines, how can you make and then justify such a statement?

Well the report:

Super Mini
    Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 Breeze
    Registration Year: 2008
    • Miles covered on 95 Octane: 948
    • Miles per Gallon achieved on 95 Octane: 36.65
    • Miles covered on Momentum 99: 1106
    • Miles per Gallon achieved on Momentum 99: 42.75
    • Average of 16.67% Increase in Fuel Economy
    • Average of 52.67 Miles Extra per Tank
    • Maximum Power Gain of 4 BHP (4.8%)
    • Maximum Torque Gain of 7 ft/lbs (7.7%)

A 1.2 is hardly high powered is it?
    And also, if you read the last part, i said its a waste of money unless you have an engine designed for such petrol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mgodden1989 View Post
    I think you answered your own post with the last part if I am honest:

"Stick with the cheapest supermarket petrol you can find unless you have an engine designed for higher octane fuels and/or is mapped for specific octane."

Not being funny but I don't really see that its going to make much difference to a 1.4 engine anyway. I have used Shell V-Power in the past in my 1.4 H, and made no difference in terms of power. Only noticeable difference was around 30-50 miles more per tank. I also noticed as well that the engine ran alot smoother, especially from cold in the morning during the winter months, but no noticeable differences in performance. If it did affect performance then it was very minimal.

Lets face it, standard 1.4s are hardly built for power and speed and performance anyway.
    Im only going by the report which seems to give the impression that any engine benefits from this fuel, i also never had a question to answer in my post, im just warning people off this scam and the report that goes with it:

Vehicle
    Total 95 Octane Miles
    Total Momentum 99 Miles
    Difference
    % Increase in MPG
    Hyundai i10
    17.25%
    Vauxhall Corsa 1.2
    16.67%
    Ford Focus 1.6
    25.00%
    BMW 320i
    18.74%
    Mercedes-Benz C180
    22.07%
    Audi TT 2.0T
    17.23%
    Vauxhall Zafira 1.8
    23.75%
    Honda CRV 2.0
    7.93%
    AVERAGES
    1037 Miles
    1230 Miles
    193 Miles
    18.58%
    Conclusion
    In each vehicle tested the Momentum 99 generated higher power and better fuel economy than the Tesco 95 Octane fuel. Averaged across the test vehicles this equated to 5.6% higher power and a 18.5% improvement in fuel economy.
    The Momentum 99 fuel contains a higher energy content due to its enhanced constituent ingredients, the fuel burns hotter, for longer and this energy content enables the vehicles to generate more power. The higher power generated by each vehicle means less fuel is burnt for a given speed and less fuel burnt for a given speed means higher miles per gallon as less fuel is burnt for a given distance.
    The high number of variations that can affect the results of such testing have prevented such an extensive on road testing ever being attempted before, however by undertaking such an extensive testing period combined with a wide range of test vehicles the potential for corrupted test data is minimised. The adoption of strict test procedures designed to minimise any external affect on data also minimise any potential skew in results.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    I fail to see how this is a scam in all honesty! It quite simply is a higher octance fuel which will be a heck of alot more efficient in some cars rather than others.
    Astra sold ... replaced with a Skoda ... soon to be replaced with another Vauxhall

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I fail to see how this is a scam in all honesty! It quite simply is a higher octance fuel which will be a heck of alot more efficient in some cars rather than others.
    So you believe it would improve a Corsa 1.2 economy by 158 miles to a tank, and a Hyundai i10 by 129 miles?
    Or better yet, a Focus 1.6 by 232 miles?
    Yet a 1.4 16v gets a huge mileage gain of 0? Screams scam imo, the report shouldnt even be on the net.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    Well if you feel that way about it, then go complain to the people that have published it on the interent .... Tesco and see what they say then. Moaning on AOC about it is not going to change the situation is it?!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well if you feel that way about it, then go complain to the people that have published it on the interent .... Tesco and see what they say then. Moaning on AOC about it is not going to change the situation is it?!
    Im not moaning, im ranting and making people aware of it so they dont waste money. That is fine for the chat section. Everyone turns everything into a pointless arguement here, its hilarious. Besides, makes a change from Police hating

Status
    SRi Turbo :)
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    TBH the reports made by tesco, so their obviously going to slightly exhagerate the performance of their fuel. however You may have just had a bad experience. It varied for me when i owned my 1.8 SXI, i used to get 300 to a tank of normal and then using v power or tesco super i got around 330 driving the same. but sometimes it would be 350, but if i drove like a stole it it was 280...

If i ran anything less then v power on my SRI-T then the car deffinatly feels it. less smooth and pick up is not the best. But then again i am running stage 1 map so v power or the like is deffinatly a must.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast