Thread: My verdict- Nice to look at and sit in and just ok to drive

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My verdict- Nice to look at, sit in and just ok to drive

Hay all this is my first post as I am new to the astra so take it easy, I got a 1.7 cdti elite about 2 months ago and so far my feelings are mixed about the car I like the look of it both inside and out and find the car very comfortable to sit in but my problems start when I drive the car. Like a lot of people on the forum the mpg I am getting from the car is shocking my day to day driving includes both town and country driving and be best mpg I can get is between 31 and 33 witch is far off what the dealer told me I would be getting even on a long run in 5th and 6th gear I was only getting 38mpg I have contacted the dealer and have been told this should get better as the car gets older but the car now has over 2k miles on it so I thought it would be run in by now??
    Another real concern I have about the car is the flat spot in the power when changing gear its ok when going around town but on the open road, over taking or changing on a hill there is a real drop of power of about a second or a second and a half before the turbo kicks in once again the dealer has told me this is normal as it takes the turbo time to spin up between changes but in my experience of driving turbo diesel for the last 12years this drop in power is not normal.
    So that’s my thoughts on my new car and I would like to know if anyone else is experiencing the same problem with the drop of power when changing gears.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You need the diesel lump to loosen up more to get better mpg.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra J VXR
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Add Moonman on Facebook
    I also have the 1.7 cdti J although mine is a little older with 10000 miles on the clock. I cannot say I have noticed any discernable drop in power when changing gears. I do mostly city driving with the odd motorway/national speed limit run and mine is currently sitting at an average of about 48mpg.
    Summit White Astra J GTC VXR 2.0L Petrol Turbo (276 PS) with Aero Pack and 20's

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Don't take the clock's average as read either as this isn't very accurate. Best off working out how many miles you're getting out of a tank and dividing it by 12 to get your true MPG.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring