Thread: Sacked during probation period...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sacked during probation period...

I've been sacked from my job, basically I feel my face didn't fit. We left on amicable terms, sorry it hadn't worked out for either myself or the employer, so now I'm on the job hunt.

I had a job interview a few weeks ago for a large lawyer firm and I've got a second interview with them this week. How to I explain to them that I am unemployed now as they saw me as someone already employed last time? I don't intend on bringing the subject up myself but if asked about it what should I say??
    Crazy little Scottish lass!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sad to here about the first bit mate.

As for the second bit,

Tell the truth. If you asked them tell them that you were told you were no longer needed at your last job and they had no choice but to let you go. They will understand, that's what a probation period is for as much as the work involved they need to know whether you will gel with the office and people.

Keep your head up
    http://uk.movember.com/mospace/3132765
    Please Donate Generously

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You'lll have to be honest with them...because if they do want to offer you a job, they'll definately check with your current employers (now ex) for reference.

Honest and upfront is always the best, dont say sacked, just say you just did'nt fit in the team, although blame it on them having set ways or similar !

Good luck

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    They will only check with your previous employers for a reference if you cite them as a referee. However, as people have mentioned just explain the situation regarding your current status. If they want to employ you, they shouldn't hold the fact you are currently out of work against you.

Goodluck with your the job search.
    Star Silver SRI Turbo..'Red.Dot Reloaded'..Cybox Precat, Cybox Catback SS Exhaust..K&N Panel Filtered...9Ltr EDS SMIC!!.....

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    1) yes tell the truth

2) word in VERY carefully else they will run a mile, i would go with

"during my probabtion period it became apparent the job wasnt for my liking thus affecting my integration with the team and the business, a joint decision witht he employer was decided that i would leave the post"

when they ring for a reference they will probably get the answer

" we didnt feel he fitted in with team and after discussions he decided to move on"

alls good
    Quote Originally Posted by WillThePlank View Post
    Whatever Happened to sitting on your arm until it went numb?!

Status
    Hulk smash!!
    Mentioned in
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    If it was me, I would not mention anything about not fitting into the team or anything like that!

Truth and honest yes, but I would just leave it at - I was not enjoying the job and left by mutual decision, maybe?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As the above advice, always go in telling the truth, cause one way or another you probably get caught out.
    Probabtion period is time for you and employer to see if you settle in and enjoy the work, in which case, shame it is didnt work out for you.
    Disclaimer - some of the above text may actually be sarcasm (believe it or not!)

Astra 02, SRi 1.8i - Irmscher'd up (a bit) with Zebra front bumper

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for all the comments guys. If they ask at the second interview then I'll just say that during my probationary review meeting this week we came to the mutually conclusion that it wasn't working out and we left on amicable terms. They have said they'd be happy to give a reference, but it would only be a standard one as per company policy.

I think the fact I underestimated the commute from home to work was affecting my settling in and I was getting stressed/tired from that...

Thanks again for the feedback guys, will keep you posted!
    Crazy little Scottish lass!