Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Twinport Misbehaving...

Hi,
    Have another misfire thread...sorry . OK....it's a 1.6 twinport 53 plate MK4 estate. Started kangorooing couple of months ago, went to garage for service anyway and they changed coilpack and plugs. Seemed OK for a day or two then started getting missfire on multiple cylinders (Did pedal test)...went back again to garage who replaced coil pack and plugs again....Seemed ok for a few days then started playing up again. Now comes up with 301 misfire cylinder one...however it usually only plays up when your poodling along in low rpm..1500-2500ish....If I drive accelerating it's fine, and there's no loss of power.

Garage had it again and investigated further. Did compression test, all OK. Checked injectors, all Ok. Swirl flaps were replaced last year by previous owner. The car has always burnt oil, so they said it was related to the misfire....so replaced rocker cover.

Had the car back and still misfires, but only when it's up to temperature and only with foot lightly on accelerator usually at low rpm.....It does it most if you accelerate hard then back off the accelerator.
    The garage charged £90 for coilpack, but don't know if it's a genuine one...I guess not. So would a genuine Delphi coilpack cure this ???

Would appreciate any thoughts....car great otherwise.

Thanks,

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have had the same problem since March (also twinport 1.6, 16v). Garage can't find the problem, changed ECU, coilpack (twice, genuine), plugs (twice), EGR-valve, fuel filter, cleaned temp inlet sensor (MAF?), cleaned throttle body.

Same behaviour as yours, usually takes a few minutes before the engine gets warm then it starts to run rough at low-medium throttle with flashing emission light. It's fine at high speed and at high load (going up a hill), given that you get up to speed/load before the misfiring starts. Mine always misfires on cyl. 1 first - P0301, but after a while on all cylinders. However only cyl. 1 has had present misfires when monitoring via the laptop.

It seems the engine runs too lean at medium power? Since it runs fine at load I suppose the engine gets a richer mixture then? It could be a clue but I'm not sure what it means (or which expensive part that most likey should be replaced)...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had the same, it got worse the longer you left it! and it turned out the cat had failed and knackered the engine, so had to replace the engine in the end. Runs better than ever now
    NOW SOLD! Astra G 1.6 16V, 10000k HID kit, GSI Spoiler, Tinted windows, Coilovers,
    Aberdeen area diagnostics PM me.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey4996 View Post
    it turned out the cat had failed
    Never thought of the Cat....It's going back on Friday for MOT ,so I'll see what they say...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The way I thought it had something t do with the cat was that it was glowin bright red after abt 30min drivin, and knew that wasn't right. I tried changing everything you've tried but as you've found out was a waste of time, however this was just my car, yours might have a different problem.
    NOW SOLD! Astra G 1.6 16V, 10000k HID kit, GSI Spoiler, Tinted windows, Coilovers,

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Did your car run bad constantly or "after a while"? I see some major costs here if the cat has been damaged. Plus of course still the cause of it...

Mine runs fine, really nothing to complain about at start. Starts easily, steady idle. Also, if clearing the fault codes that come up when driving when misfiring instantly removes the problem and the engine runs great again (until next series of misfire).

Haven't seen anything strange about the cat but I'll shurely have a look. The only strange thing is that the radiator fan never runs. Temperature is fine all the time but I have never seen or heard it run, not even on hot summer days.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah mine idled fine aswell, but when you drove with little throttle on, it started kangarooin, sometimes worse times than others.

If I kept it at little throttle, it came up with cylinder 1 missfire and multi- missfire. But if kept at high rev's it seemed fine.

Should maybe mention that mine's started holdin back while you were drivin, asthough gale winds were blowin the car head on.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for sharing, this is very useful. Did you ever find out what was causing the problem?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well took car for MOT and to look at misfire again. They reset the light and it passed the MOT ok. They said it was running fine when they had it.....I get 2 miles down the road and it plays up again. I'm guessing they don't know what it is....it does seem a weird problem.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Does this make any sense?
    I did a quick test, warmed the engine (drove for 15 min) and let it run on idle then up to 2000rpm and back to idle. This is what I got from the run:

I would expect the no 1 sensor to fluctuate more and the second one to be at a lower value...? Though they seem to follow the rpm quickly but something just seems wrong.

No fault codes point at the O2-sensors, only misfires.

At the test the engine ran "as normal" with no obvious misfires as I cleared the codes before.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast