Thread: VW. Are they worth it?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

VW. Are they worth it?

Before I start I don't want to upset any VW owners here so please don't take offense.
    I just drove a Mk6 Golf TSi and it left me feeling a bit empty. As it wasn't mine I took great care driving it so didnt experience it's true potential but it was still a very forgettable drive in a car which in my opinion has become very clinical. It did get me thinking about when the Mk1 hit our shores and British cars were falling apart on the production line it was a safe bet but now with modern cars and engines being built to last as long as they do is it worth buying a car that's reputation was built on reliability? Are they worth the higher price tag. And the lack of equipment leaves me questioning why? I mean the car I drove tonight could have only been a stop or two behind a GTI and yet it had no lumbar support, no cruise and only a single slot CD player. I apologise if this seems like a pointless rant but I was just wondering if anyone else has a similar opinion or has comared them against Fords, Vauxhalls and so forth when buying a new car.

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    u pay for reliabality more than anything, secondally build quality. a vw/audi can cover silly miles without any problems atall.

my friend has a 51 plate golf with around 209k on, still pulls well and not one rattle can be heard, unlike most vaux, fords of that age

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Oh yeah I agree without a doubt but my point is most new cars can cope with big miles. Jap engines can run forever. I suppose you could use the same argument and say why buy an Astra when you can get a Hyundi i30 for a lot less but put in the position where you are looking for a new car would you buy a car because it will keep that satisfying "thud" noise when you close the door for as long as the car is on the road or save a few grand and get a top spec Astra or Focus?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Build quality is better on a VW or Jap car and the resale is better on normal milage but if you are doing lots of miles an Astra or Focus with lots of miles will lose less.. because you pay less at the start. Just been throught this myself, an interesting subject I think.

Status
    The Sticker Queen
    Mentioned in
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    As said, build quality and reliability as well as the resale value are all plus points. Even if you go slightly higher up the Vag range they still don't come very well kitted out. I have an A3 Sport and my colleague ordered her A3 S-Line at the same time and we both had to pay extra for cruise control on cars which are both well over £20k. Something which I assumed would come as standard on a car of that age and value.

Are they worth it? Only time will tell. Mine is just over 2 years old and has 60k on it now but has never missed a beat. So long as that continues up to the 100k where I trade it in for a new one I'll be happy.
    MINXY BUTLER-HENDERSON

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Minxy View Post
    As said, build quality and reliability as well as the resale value are all plus points.
    Resale is higher because they cost more to buy in the first place. Build quality is comparable to most similar cars and as for relaibility.....that's down to the particular car you own.

If you like a car and it's a VW then buy it, but don't buy it because it's a VW.
    Tell me what you've done, not what you're going to!

Status
    The Sticker Queen
    Mentioned in
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by K3FUS View Post
    Resale is higher because they cost more to buy in the first place. Build quality is comparable to most similar cars and as for relaibility.....that's down to the particular car you own.

If you like a car and it's a VW then buy it, but don't buy it because it's a VW.
    What would you put up as a similar car?

Vag generally have a better reputation for reliability than Vauxhall/Ford etc and I've certainly had a lot less issues with my Audi than I had with the Vauxhall I owned and did pretty much the same mileage in both cars so that opinion is partly personal experience, partly down to industry trend. Resale value...they retain a higher percentage of their original price therefore giving them a better residual value than their competitors from the reviews I've read. BMW similarly retain theirs better than most other manufacturers as well.

Don't get me wrong, I still loved my Astra and I'd have another but there are definitely plus points to the Vags.
    MINXY BUTLER-HENDERSON

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I thought they were bland to, the GT sport we had was fun, but still lacked any enthusiasm, I sold my Golf GTi as it was to heavy, and just not for me... no feeling, just an object, nothing to bond with......
    Celica T-Sport , Audi S3 , scania r series

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    at home we have
    vauxhall still fun to drive
    vw had to fix lots on this mk5 1.9tdi
    audi dose 12mpg at the mo and 22mpg on the Run
    and ford Fun to drive park it any place ect ect

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think they are worth it but it depends what you want from a car. German cars generally dont have the 'flair' that say a French or Italian model might but they are so much better built and that gives owners a lot of piece of mind.

My girlfriend had an 06 Golf tdi as a company car for a while and despite its high mileage it drove and felt brand new. You just felt like it would go on forever.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast