Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Vauxhall Calibra

Hello!

I am looking at getting a project car, thinking along the lines of a calibra. Does anybody on here own a calibra? Pros? Cons? and just after some general information regarding them, best model/engine to go for etc etc

Ideally I would love a 4x4 C20LET calibra but seriously rare...cannot seem to find them any where!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Basically a Cavalier with a different dress on.
    As with any car of that age rust is the main thing to look for, primarily around the rear archs & sills.
    Mechanically they are pretty straight forward theres nothing too complex about them.

Engine wise the C20XE or 2.5 V6 would be the ones to go for imo. The 2.0 8v isnt the most inspiring with them, you'll get 2.0 Ecotec's in the later cars but Id opt for a later XE over them personally.
    The C20LET's are getting rare as most were stripped as donor cars for Nova;s etc. and generally speaking are higher maintenance than the other cars in the range both engine and transmission wise unless you find a good one.

Personally I would opt for a last of the line SE9 which came in red, BBS wheels, full leather and came with the 2.5 V6 or if you can find one, a limited edition V6 DTM.

SE9

DTM

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks buddy, I just thought performance wise the C20LET being a turbo would be quicker and have more tuning capability?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    C20LET is the most tuneable of the lot and easier to get power from, however you need to bear in mind that the newest of these engines is getting on for 14years old now they are not often the most reliable engine in the group anymore. The other consideration is the 4wheel drive system fitted to them, now there are lovers and haters to this system, but a lot of the problems relate to poor maintenance. Again they can be temperamental, which is why a lot are advertised as "professionally converted to 2wheel drive" (this usually consists of removing fuse 19 or disconnecting the prop,) or have a locked box fitted. As such they can become money pits pretty easily especially when you start upping the power.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I see,

I was basically after a 4 wheel drive project car which hopefully I could use for track, and I thought of the calibra because its different, yet still 4 wheel drive with nice power (plus i love the looks!), but if it is as tempermental as you say its probably not worth it.

I just wanted something different than the usual 4x4 track cars (Impreza etc) + I love vauxhalls =)