Thread: Steering problem.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Steering problem.

im very basic when it comes to cars but i will try explain this as best i can.

i have a 51 plate astra 1.7dti estate and its developed a steering problem, it seems to be from the passenger front wheel.

it feels light on the steering when turning left and loose when going over bumps/pot holes. i have checked all tire pressures and the wheel nuts are tight.

i have had the wheel off and checked around but cant see any play in the track rods,bushes ect. but i cant decide if there is any play in the bearing as the wheel does seem to move a little if i hold it at top and bottom to wiggle it.

i am booking the car into a garage as soon as i get chance but im working long hours so having a little trouble.

any ideas before it goes in the garage?

thanks
    mark

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    dunno about feeling light, but loose over bumps normally indicates drop links worn

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    im not getting no knocking noises or anything. ill check the drop links tomorrow, i didnt have a close look at them when i had the wheel off but noticed they are the plastic ones should they have any movement at all? they did move a little on the rubbers if i gripped them and wiggled it about.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    noticed on the way home from work tonight that the steering feels worse and im now getting a scrubbing/humming noise. i checked the passenger wheel again when i got home and there is now quite a bit of play in it and a knocking noise when pulled on (sounds like the wheel hub) will it be a wheel bearing?

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    that is the strut top mount bearings gone.
    i have same with mine and because its lowered i took it to get camber ajusted and he pulled on my wheels like that n they moved n made same sound as urs and he said my top mount bearings are gone.
    mine did same as urs n drove me mad as it was and felt so fidgety and hard to drive but after i changed them it know feels like a diff car.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just had a reply on another vaux forum saying the wheel bearing sounds like it's shot so NOT to drive the car at all as more than likely the front wheel will come off!!

It's obviously put the shits up me a little so im finishing work early today to try get it in the garage and looked at, I'll make sure they check the suspension mounts and bearings aswel