Thread: possible head gasket problem?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

possible head gasket problem?

Hey all, i'm worried about my astra and need some advice.

My Astra mk4 1.6 8v lx has got some white/creamy well its not thick but does sound like a head gasket problem, could there be another reason for this cold weather, the radiator being faulty/broken or lack of coolant in the radiator etc.

ill explain the problems i have, my brother owned the car before me and one day while driving the car it started to over heat, he assumed it was a radiator problem so bought a brand new radiator and fitted it himself, but in doing so he accidently put a needle size old in the plastic bottom left side, if u stand t te front of ur car, so i have to full it up every day or every 2 days to make sure its not low on water, after that it turned out to be a head gasket problem, anyway the head was skimmed shaved etc cost nearly 600 quid to have the head fixed and it runs really well, im just hoping it aint a head gasket as it was done 2800 miles ago the cars only done 103k miles.

any advice would be great just trying to find out if lack of oil water or what can contribute to this, thanks.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The head gasket went on my 1.6 8v 4 weeks ago, i had the mayo under the oil cap, and it started losing coolant on long journeys. It got progressively worse as the weeks went on unknown to me at the time, until it started blowing white smoke and i gave up on it.

Mayo under the oil filler cap is supposed to be common on these engines but to be honest i dont know why a mix of oil and water in your engine is normal in any car.
    IT Services for Glasgow, UK
    This is only here for google webmaster tools purposes.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    in winter it is fairly normal if u do short journeys, condesation builds up, usually it burns off as its not a large amount i suppose, i dont get any power loss tbh since the gasket and head was done the performance has been alot better, and i dont have a coolent leak as in the engine or whereever just a fault on the radiator itself wheremy brother and his mate forced it in and caught it as they put it in causing a small crack on the plastic casing around the left side bottom of the radiator near the bleeding valve i think or as some would use it to drain the water out, but thats all. and i wouldnt say this is a mayo like texture its more a semiskimmed milk very light in colour and texture and not a huge amount, when i got the car last month it had it , which i cleaned i drove the car for a week and nothing, at the time i didnt full up the water coz i checked it everyday and the waer was full, i used radweld and tho that fixed it, but yesterday i tho ill check the water and found it was very lowand i got that white texture again, so idk if ive caused any damage by driving the car on very low coolent, not 2 low tho as there was some in the bottle and i only covered 15-20 miles before i checked the water.