Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Induction Kits - advice needed

Hello,

I'm looking for some advice from people who have had induction kits fitted to their cars to replace the standard air filter (mine's a 1.9 SRI XP 150).

Is it worth considering first of all, and if so, which one would you recommend. I've seen a you tube clip of a simota carbon charger which sounded really good on the same car, but I've seen another clip of one on a petrol clio and I couldnt hear anything above the normal engine noise. I know that induction kits provide only a modest improvement in terms of bhp increase and I'm contemplating having an engine remap as well - but if these induction kits dont provide a performance benefit or cant be heard very well I'll probably steer clear.

Thanks for reading - hope you can recommend something or forward a link to a similar post on the site.

R

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i've had 2 induction kits fits to a 1.9 cdti a simota carbon charger and a a&n apollo

neither made any difference to performance and where a bitch to clean the simota got so clogged it used to throw a eml light above about 80mph as the engine was screaming for air. Used to do it about every 5k and i would have to clean it and it would be ok for another 5k

there is some advantages they look nice and make a bit of a whistle sound personally i wont be bothering on a diesel again

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That's a shame that the Simota required so much maintenance. I don't really want to introduce new problems with the car. I accept that the bhp gain is small/negligable - but from a driving perspective, having more of a whistley sound is what I'm after. Maybe I'll go for a K&N 57i....

Thanks for your reply

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mine sounded like a broken tractor (1.7 cdti) although overboost made a nice swooshy sort of noise, but day to day driving was just noisey and irratating
    successfully avoiding natural selection since 1983...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I fitted the k&n 57i to my 2.0 turbo, sumtimes I think it gives a decent boost sometimes not noticeable, but it makes a nice sound although not really heard over normal engine noise, n as for some people saying there is a heat lag when the engine is warm iv never noticed it, but I bolted mine t the left hand side of the engine compartment and opened up the air intake from the grill t get more cold air flowing in which may have helped

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    had one fitted to a 2.2dti vectra and my partners 2.0dti astra did not make any difference what so ever, made them sound like tractors, my partner asked me to take hers off after 3 days.
    i think these aftermarket filters are a load of b o l l o c k s, save your money and put towards your remap.