Thread: what do i need?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

what do i need?

i want to install a double din headunit into my sri can anyone tell me what i need. i want to be able to use the steering wheel controls still. links would be helpful. also with the fasica it has to be a good match to the silver dash.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Assuming you have a mk5 sri you will need the following! (all links to ebay)

Fasia and fitting kit,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-ASTRA...item3ef4f9e8b6

Sterring wheel adapter,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-Astra...item3ef4faf522

Patch lead for stalk adapter (dependent on your HU, this ones for kenwood)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/KENWOOD-MULTI-...item3a5f2e15ff

Aerial Adapter,

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vauxhall-Ampli...item3f0343f3ff

That little lot is everthing you'll need to get it in! HTH
    ASTRA H 1.8,Silver Lightning,
    Clifford 330 Alarm, Window Tints, vxR Clocks With Needle Sweep, Cruise Contol, Heatshot Washer System, XP Spoiler, Insignia Jets

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks alot mate very helpful. proberly sound stupid but wont the standard aerial not go straight into the headunit.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No it wont, the mk5 astra is on whats called a fakra style connetor where as your new headunit will be a standard type!
    Clifford 330 Alarm, Window Tints, vxR Clocks With Needle Sweep, Cruise Contol, Heatshot Washer System, XP Spoiler, Insignia Jets

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    Spot on with everything above, the connects2 fitting kit (first link) is definately well worth the extra pennies to ensure a decent fit.

Only thing I would say is, instead of going with the steering wheel adaptor/harness above, go for the connects2 one (CTSVX002). That way then I believe it eliminates the need for the patch lead for the specific make stereo. I have got one on mine, I do believe when I ordered it I had to state it was an Alpine headunit, but works perfectly fine, no need for extra patch leads at all.
    Astra sold ... replaced with a Skoda ... soon to be replaced with another Vauxhall

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,

I'm also trying to figure out what exactly is needed to fit an aftermarket JVC headunit into my Astra 1.8 design sportshatch to replace the CD30 unit thats gone duff. Two things really, the controls on the CD30 including all steering wheel ones have stpped working with the unit stuck on one radio channel. It plays that channel ok and manually turns on and off and volume controls, nothing else works. Secondly i'm getting conflicting information about whats needed if i want to make sure the steering wheel controls work with the new headunit. Saw the connects wiring loom below but what else do i need to make everything work, is it just a facia and aerial adaptor plus maybe a patch lead?

http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/conne...ol-p-9113.html

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    My stereo works perfectly fine with just an aerial adaptor and a connects2 lead. I think when you order the connects2 lead you have to tell them what make stereo its for, so in your case tell them its to connect a JVC headunit. Plug it all in, pretty self explanatory as the cables only go one way, connect aerial plugs using the adaptor and away you go, simple really.
    Astra sold ... replaced with a Skoda ... soon to be replaced with another Vauxhall

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for that, i'll have a word with Dynamic sounds who seem to have a good handle on things. One other thing, how do you know which colour facsia to buy as there seem to be several grey versions. Its definately not black or silver but could be one of several other grey colours. Is the colour of the dash listed anywhere in the car documents?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    I don't think it is tbh!

When I bought mine it didn't matter if it matched as I was going to carbon wrap it anyway.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i agree the connects2 will work just as well as the autoleads! Autoleads is what i fit/use at work so its just what i'm used to and if you ever change your stereo you only need to buy a 5quid patch lead as opposed to a full new adapter at 35quid! just my opinion! There should only be two shades of grey fasia, charcoal and anthracite! So if your unsure you'll have to guess!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast