Thread: Open University - Any good?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Open University - Any good?

As above really, anyone on here ever used Open University?

If so then how did you find the material, the support and all the rest of it etc etc?
    Great Minds Discuss Ideas; Average Minds Discuss Events; Small Minds Discuss People

http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/...e/jahadley.png

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I did a few courses with them found them to be really good. Material was really good got everything that you needed, support was fantastic you email your tutor and you get a msg board to so other students can help sometimes the students organize a study meet with locals so its always good to check the msg board. What you thinking off studying?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Computing and Mathematical sciences mate, then considering doing a Physics based degree following on from that if I enjoy the whole learning experience within Open University.

What courses did you do?
    Great Minds Discuss Ideas; Average Minds Discuss Events; Small Minds Discuss People

Status
    Yer...I'm nuts!!
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Follow untouchable On Twitter
    My dad has done several courses, gone off on the summer school things etc etc.

Im sure his courses were all scientific stuff and things to do with the stars/moon/planets etc.

Anyway, he can put letters after his name now if he wanted, but I actually cant remember what they are lol (you can see the brains stopped with him)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupe2T View Post
    Computing and Mathematical sciences mate, then considering doing a Physics based degree following on from that if I enjoy the whole learning experience within Open University.
    what are you hoping to get out of the course/qualification?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GTE_LET View Post
    My dad has done several courses, gone off on the summer school things etc etc.

Im sure his courses were all scientific stuff and things to do with the stars/moon/planets etc.

Anyway, he can put letters after his name now if he wanted, but I actually cant remember what they are lol (you can see the brains stopped with him)
    How did he find learning with them? Was the material etc that he was given of good quality etc?

Quote Originally Posted by krypton View Post
    what are you hoping to get out of the course/qualification?
    Main focus would be high level mathematics in the first one but also a better understanding of computer programming etc, that will be more work based as I work in IT already so would be a good thing to have to ping me up a few pay grades etc!

The physics portion really is more for personal interest, I might then also do some volunteer work within Physics experiments etc etc. All interests me that stuff!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupe2T View Post
    Main focus would be high level mathematics in the first one but also a better understanding of computer programming etc, that will be more work based as I work in IT already so would be a good thing to have to ping me up a few pay grades etc!

The physics portion really is more for personal interest, I might then also do some volunteer work within Physics experiments etc etc. All interests me that stuff!
    sounds good, job wise it helps to be qualified in something quite specific to the job e.g. graphics or nuclear physics, so the more you know yourself the better!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah well Mathematics is the main focus early on! Then I will go from there. See where it takes me. Probably going to go down the programming route given that a lot of it highly reliant on maths abilities.

Status
    Hulk smash!!
    Mentioned in
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Would it not be better doing some of the Microsoft accredited courses and things like that it you are looks to move up in the IT field??

If you are already in work and looking to move up, have a look for qualitifications that are recognised within your field.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by npd View Post
    Would it not be better doing some of the Microsoft accredited courses and things like that it you are looks to move up in the IT field??

If you are already in work and looking to move up, have a look for qualitifications that are recognised within your field.

I considered it but I think the base mathematics I would learn with a Uni course would be way above and beyond that of any Microsoft course etc. Given that maths is such a widely used subject I want to learn a lot more of that etc.

I just think it will carry a lot more weight and with wanting to learn Physics afterwards for my own personal interest that again relies heavily on the maths.