Thread: Worrying noise when Clutch depressed....

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Worrying noise when Clutch depressed....

Hi, apologies if this has been covered before....

I have a 56 Plate 1.9 CDti 150 ps Zafira with 40k on the clock.

Recently I have noticed a grumbling, rumbling, rattley type noise when pressing the clutch down, (it starts about 2 secs after the clutch pedal reaches the floor).

I have only noticed it today when the engine/gearbox was cold so can't confirm if it continues when everything is up to temperature.

I spoke with a mechanic friend, who is going to take a look, and he suggested Dual Mass Flywheel and Clutch Assy, in the region of £700.....

I have read a few other posts about noises from the clutch and they suggest that the DMF makes a thumping noise when it fails, it certainly isn't a thump more of a noisy bearing type of noise.

Also, not too sure if it's related, 2 weeks ago on the motorway, I made a loss of power which continued for the rest of the day pre turbo kicking in, the engine management light came on also.

This stopped later that day........

Any input would be appreciated, getting a bit worried for my wallet!

Cheers

Bezza

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I actually just got home from the garage with the same problem!

I remember mine made a loud thumping noise couple of days ago, and after than whenever i press the clutch i hear a loud rattling noise.

I have been to two different garages and they have said the same thing, DMF, and it would cost around £1000 with the clutch.

Gnna go to another garage now and get a quote. I really dont wana spend that much though

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It sounds like it is on the way out the DMF. When they do go completely then they will bang like buggery! But in the early stages, just rattles slightly, as though sounding like a release bearing etc.

It is roughly around £1000 to get done although you can get the price down and £700 is not bad.

Regarding loss of power etc. Have you checked for any stored codes?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it does sound like the dual mass flywheel,you can get one from a good motor factors for around the £400 mark,a garage should charge around £250 to £300 to fit so as said by mixman,you should be able to get the price down to around £700.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    will be almost certainally D.M.F and yeh better to fit a clutch at same time.. but could also be just the release bearing???
    220 B.H.P Zaffy GSi Turbo (2004)
    Live Life In The Fast Lane, Get A GSi! E: enbracefan@o2.co.uk

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Had my mechanic round, he said it's difficlut to tell whether the noise is coming from the Clutch or the DMF but at this stage sounds more like the clutch.

His advice was to wait until it worse then tackle it.

At this stage it is just an annoying noise, starts off as a squeak when clutch is pressed then progresses to more of a rumble.....

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If it is D.M.F they are known for problems and they move and vibrate hence the noise you maybe getting, Just hope it doesn't cause anymore trouble or damage on the way out??? also make sure u do the clutch, Vauxhall no these are an issue and if you have full service history even thou on a 56-reg vauxhall may provide a contribution towards repairs as known issue and technical field remedy/recalls on it. (give em a ring if you got history m or (visit local vaux dealer) hth
    220 B.H.P Zaffy GSi Turbo (2004)
    Live Life In The Fast Lane, Get A GSi! E: enbracefan@o2.co.uk

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Did you get yours fixed mate? Am getting mine done on tuesday.. Am payin 375 for the parts and 150 labour not half as much as i thought it would be

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idi View Post
    Did you get yours fixed mate? Am getting mine done on tuesday.. Am payin 375 for the parts and 150 labour not half as much as i thought it would be
    Top bombing there mate. Great deal! Mates rates?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mixman View Post
    Top bombing there mate. Great deal! Mates rates?
    Yep. The flywheel and clutch are coming from my mate who has a scrapyard, Brand new parts but the clutch is not genuine, but its a really good copy according to him. So am just putting my trust in him and hopefully it should be fine.
    I got a few quotes for fitting, 300, 220, 180 and 150. And the 150 is my brothers mate. How much would it normally cost? parts and labour?