Thread: Looks like I'm moving end of the month - but can the old letting agent do this?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Looks like I'm moving end of the month - but can the old letting agent do this?

Girlfriend came up with the idea we need a bigger place like a 2 bedroom house or flat.

Booked in to see a few in the £400 range but they were dumps, but at £400 they would be.

Anyway saw a 2 bedroom house with 2 reception rooms, kitchen and a utility room and a small garden for £450, been on the market for such alongtime they dropped it to £425 (should have held out for £400)

Anyway looked at the place on saturday afternoon did all the paper work, got a call from the letting agent saying all referances and credit checks are in and we have the got the place...

Now the fun part of packing happens.

Current letting agent not happy saying we should give notice on the 1st of the month. Current contract is up on the 1st of November. Gave them notice 13/10/2010 (today) so contract ends on the 12/11/2010.

He wants us to give notice on the 1st november to end on the 31st november. The way I see it is I am still leaving the property outside of the 6 months so who is right
    Be an optimist - at least until they start moving animals in pairs to Cape Canaveral.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Unless it states in your original contract that you HAVE to give notive on the original contract you are fine.

They will do anything to get some extra cash from you.
    I've paid and displayed...
    Have you joined AOC?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Oh and congrats on finding a new home....wish my rent was that cheap!
    Have you joined AOC?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Current contract is up on the 1st of November...... there's the answer... Phone CAB.....

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...agreements.htm

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/index/...th_renting.htm

And yes mega cheap!!!

I used to pay £850 a month for a 2 bed in Marlborough. that was 9 years ago, now £950+........
    Celica T-Sport , Audi S3 , scania r series

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amoxiatree View Post
    Oh and congrats on finding a new home....wish my rent was that cheap!
    You're neighbours are nowhere near as bad as his

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks guy.

Had a letter from them round about the 5th 6th october saying the contract is due to be renewed on the 1st nov. I was given 3 options

1) renew contract and pay £17.50 admin fees
    2) move out and give 30 day rolling notice
    3) move out on 1st nov

opted fro 30 day

I really should have got this contract in the last week of spetember so if I wanted to move out on the 1st november I could.

The way i see it is I can move out any time I want after 1st novemeber as I am not i a contract anymore and as long as I pay all the bills and rent due till then.

I agreed to allow viewing of the flat but requested if they could do this after 10am as then no one will be in the flat to get in the way.
    Be an optimist - at least until they start moving animals in pairs to Cape Canaveral.

Status
    Can't play nicely with other so has been given another holiday
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If the contract is due to expire on the 1st of Nov and you have not had a new one through or signed a new one its tough Sh!t!

F*** em, Nothing they can do!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So you have a 6 month contract and you moved in on May 1st?

If so then you can leave anytime after the Nov 1st, as long as you are paid up for the end of your full 6 months.

There is no rule anywhere to my knowledge that states that notice can only be served on the 1st of the month.
    Have you joined AOC?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thats what i thought. If I moved out ealier I would be liable for the rest of the agreement, but I can move out anytime as long as it is after the 1st nov.

Amoxiatree - I did move in on the 1st may, and even then I was told to be at their office before 9am or I wasn't going to get the key as they closed at 12pm.. I mean the weekend would be their busyest day and they choose to be open for 3 hours!!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Ford Transit Custom by day :-( Astra XP by night :-)
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silver_v View Post
    If the contract is due to expire on the 1st of Nov and you have not had a new one through or signed a new one its tough Sh!t!

F*** em, Nothing they can do!
    nearly right but not quite, it goes on a one month rolling contract if you are still living there after the date on the contract. There are two types of contract, most are for a set time and renewed with a new lenght of time before the end of the first contract, others more rare are rolling months.
    All contracts must state a min notice to leave to protect both parties, so even if the contract hasn't been renewed neither you or they can just leave/kick you out on the final day.
    Trust me, i looked into this because my landlord droped a new contract on my door 2 days before the 12 months was up with a major increase in rent, i'm still here but only have to pay 9months increase because he was meant to give me 12 weeks notice that the rent was going up by law.
    Astra MK5 1.8 SRi XP