Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hot water smell ???

hi, can anybody help ?

about a month ago i bought an astra sxi 1.6 on a 53 plate and the car drives perfect, however when i park it up somewhere and get out of the car you can smell like a hot smell from the car especially from the left hand side of the front grill ????
    Somebody has told me that it could be my water getting too hot or boiling ??
    the temp gauge is normal when driving and the coolant level is constant, the same as when i bought it, any ideas ????

cheers

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)

Smile Hot smell

Quote Originally Posted by mlewis1983 View Post
    hi, can anybody help ?

About a month ago i bought an astra sxi 1.6 on a 53 plate and the car drives perfect, however when i park it up somewhere and get out of the car you can smell like a hot smell from the car especially from the left hand side of the front grill ????
    Somebody has told me that it could be my water getting too hot or boiling ??
    The temp gauge is normal when driving and the coolant level is constant, the same as when i bought it, any ideas ????

Cheers
    if you can smell the "hot water" it usually means it is leaking from somewhere.but if it is leaking badly,.the level should be dropping,bit by bit.and your temp: will increase as the level drops below minimum. The coolant expansion tank is on that side of the engine compartment,close to where you mention,so perhaps that is letting of a small amount steam??(replace cap)or the bottom hose/radiator fins are leaking a bit. Sure its not the nearside disc pads binding,this will smell.and get very hot if so.but is a different smell to hot water.get your head under the bonnet when its hot and running,you may see the escaping coolant in the area you mentionwhen the system is up to running pressure.,

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ^Beaten to it. Just check all as stated above
    Astra Sold! Now its back! Sold Again! Who knows whats going on!

Currently Running MK1 1.8 MX5 with LSD awaiting boost, and a Red UK DC2

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok, thanks for advice will have a really good look under bonnet. one thing i have noticed under the bonnet is that when the engine is running there is a constant flow of coolant going back into the top of the expansion tank, is that normal?
    please excuse the basic question but ive never had a car that coolant has flowed back in constantly?

cheers