Thread: vauxhall astra h 1.7 cdti building up preasure in header tank

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

vauxhall astra h 1.7 cdti building up preasure in header tank

im new to this so dont know if im in the right place but my car is building up pressure in the header tank and now and again the car will go into limp mode ive removed the thermostat flushed the system changed the header tank cap and had the gasket checked with the pressure test also the sniff test can anyone help driving me nuts

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Clean out the breather pipes from the top of the rocker cover ;-)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    could possibly be the first signs of the head gasket going if the above dont fix it

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hi Milny and welcome to the forum.

Maybe the pressure you are noticing is just the normal pressure that builds up - the reason why they warn you against removing the expansion tank cap when the coolant is hot. If you've had those checks done and it looks OK then maybe its nothing to worry about.

The limp mode issue may be unrelated. I would have thought that the engine management light would show up on your dashboard indicating a fault and putting into limp mode Maybe you should have it hooked up to a diagnostic reader and have any fault codes read. It might point you in the right direction (things like faulty sensors etc).

Cheers, Paul

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    what do the breather pipes look like and how many are there, ive just noticed that when im driving i get warm air blowing through my blowers which is normal but if the car stops say at traffic lights it turns to cold there only blowing warm air as i drive just wondered if this could be related

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul.spencer View Post
    Hi Milny and welcome to the forum.

Maybe the pressure you are noticing is just the normal pressure that builds up - the reason why they warn you against removing the expansion tank cap when the coolant is hot. If you've had those checks done and it looks OK then maybe its nothing to worry about.

The limp mode issue may be unrelated. I would have thought that the engine management light would show up on your dashboard indicating a fault and putting into limp mode Maybe you should have it hooked up to a diagnostic reader and have any fault codes read. It might point you in the right direction (things like faulty sensors etc).

Cheers, Paul
    the pressure gets that high sometimes that it forces the water out of the hole in the cap that is there for if the pressure gets too high

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TPTuning.co.uk View Post
    could possibly be the first signs of the head gasket going if the above dont fix it
    really cant see it being head gasket as its been like this for 6 months now and has got no worse and i do about 400 mile a week

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roswell View Post
    Clean out the breather pipes from the top of the rocker cover ;-)
    what are the breather pipes do u have a picture and what do i clean them out with