Thread: tapping and oil usage

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

tapping and oil usage

My car has been doin this since i got it a year ago and i am begining to get really pi***d off with it. When driven normaly it uses oil about a litre every 1000 miles which is apparently normal for a vauxhall lmao. But if i give it a hard time through some lanes or something keeping the revs up above 4000 rpm when i pull up it taps really bad like a blocked hydraulic tappet, then if i leave it to idle for about 5-10 mins it shuts up then i normaly turn it off because i think omg i have killed it this time lol when i then check the oil after giving it time to settle it has used a whole litre if not more in the space of 5 miles. i am out of ideas now just wondered if anyone else has had this problem or can give me any more ideas. There are no fault codes and the oil light doesnt come on or flicker i am at a loose end now. thanks

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I am assuming you only check the oil with the car on a level surface and after the engine has been stopped for at least 30 minutes to ensure the oil is all back in the sump?

Tappet noise isn't unheard of but it can be simply poor oil flow/pressure to the tappets as opposed to a sticky one. You can also get ticky noises from even the smallest hole in a manifold, my inlet had a pinhole in where the EGR valve mounts and I and a couple of garages assumed it was a sticky/faulty tappet.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah mate i give it ages to run down i am a mechanic i have checked the oil pressure using a gauge and all is ok there i have gave it an oil flush and the oil is allways clean so i cant see what would restrict oil flow to the top end i just cant understand what would cause it. i aint being funny with the whole i am a mechanic thing dont want any mis understandings there . Really appreciate your help are you aware of any means of testing the actual oil flow it doesnt have any obvious signs of oil starvation such a blueing on the tips of the cam lobes i really am lost though.