Thread: VXR Turbo fitted :)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

VXR Turbo fitted :)

The new turbo is on and all seems to be well. I had a skight water leak but that was easily solved with a jubilee clip and its still burning off the oil in the exhaust but apart from that all is good. The old one was totally buggered though. The pics further down show that and there was also a random socket in there too . That probably didnt help things

So, this was it when it turned up today

Started by pulling the front end off. Apparently you can do it with the rad on but I decided this way would be easier. Only takes 2 mins anyway

and with the intercooler off the oil started running out of the boost pipes

then it was off with the old turbo. Hello nice empty engine bay space

The old unit. you can see its literally covered in oil

the turbine was sat like that when I took it off

and then when I moved it the shaft dropped out. Im pretty sure its not supposed to do that

I then got all the bits swapped over from the LET to the VXR one and bolted it up. This is it on

Then with all the crap reconnected

And this is the socket I found in the old turbo. Its definately not mine so god knows how long its been in there for but its definately a bit worse for wear.

So like I say all seems fine for now. Theres no more fluid leaks. The only thing concerning me is that the boost is spiking to about 14psi then dropping off to hold 10. Im pleased it holds 10 thru the entire revs but the spike seems a bit high to me but thats a job for another day
    It would definitely go better with an engine in it

ZLET converted SXi See Here

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    So the socket might have been the cause of the problem originally then? Looks like it's had a good old battering! Those things are solid, denting one like that took some doing

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    So the socket might have been the cause of the problem originally then? Looks like it's had a good old battering! Those things are solid, denting one like that took some doing
    It may well of been a factor in the problems . Its definately not mine. Its a snapon one and Im too cheap to buy their stuff so god knows where it came from. Im surprised the turbo lasted any time at all because the socket really is mashed. The damage on the turbine was surprisingly light compared to the socket

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Put the socket on eBay, some numpty will buy it

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    Put the socket on eBay, some numpty will buy it
    nah its going in my collection of "important bits of metal that stopped my car working". Ive got 14 bent valves, a spun bearing shell, a massive chunk of crank, a bit of diff housing and now the special socket. Its quite a collection now

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    lol - love the fact that there was a socket hiding in the old turbo! The VXR ones are better I found - my old LET one was OK (small amount of play in the turbine shaft) when I took it off but I find the VXR one gives a lot smoother power delivery. It will also be nice when I eventually get the car remapped!
    Europa Blue cabriolet turbo...now with VXR turbo, collins dump valve and a large number of Courtenay hoses

Status
    Yorkshire RO
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    glad to see you got it on and sorted steve, now get driving it to burn off the excess oil in the exhaust!

AOC top 15 car at PVS 2009 & 2010
    313.7bhp/343Ibft

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    where the hell was that i cant imagine where that would be that wouldnt have caused more damage:
    Engine side of exhaust - could go into the block and boom
    Other side of exhaust - would blow out and get stuck in the cat blocking the car
    Engine side of the intake - gets sucked up into the engine
    other side of intake - probly the least damaging other than the fact it would probably get sucked into and through the turbo unit

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shiftydave View Post
    lol - love the fact that there was a socket hiding in the old turbo! The VXR ones are better I found - my old LET one was OK (small amount of play in the turbine shaft) when I took it off but I find the VXR one gives a lot smoother power delivery. It will also be nice when I eventually get the car remapped!
    Yup, that car never fails to surprise me with the random stuff it decided to have wrong with it.

It does feel much nicer. The old one used to surge and drop then surge and drop but this seems to pull the same all the way up. And yeah, like you say a remap will work wonders but thats next months job, Im skint now

Quote Originally Posted by sri_kev View Post
    glad to see you got it on and sorted steve, now get driving it to burn off the excess oil in the exhaust!
    Cheers mate. I appreciate the advice you gave me

Ive been for a 5 mile drive just to get it warmed through and see what happens but Im going to wait until its light before I venture any further than that. Is the boost spiking to 14psi then holding 10 normal or should it spike a bit lower than that? Just the old one used to spike at 10 then hold 9.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DubCoup View Post
    where the hell was that i cant imagine where that would be that wouldnt have caused more damage:
    Engine side of exhaust - could go into the block and boom
    Other side of exhaust - would blow out and get stuck in the cat blocking the car
    Engine side of the intake - gets sucked up into the engine
    other side of intake - probly the least damaging other than the fact it would probably get sucked into and through the turbo unit
    Ive got no idea how it wasnt making loads of noise. It must of been wedged in somewhere out of the way. It came out of the inlet side. It dropped out of the top when I shook it so god knows how it didnt cause serious problems

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast