Thread: Private reg plate query

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Private reg plate query

There was a reg plate i really wanted as it damn near spells out my surname, but then i saw it 1 day while at old trafford on a land rover.

Great.

Just searching private plates & threw it in to see what it was attached to now & no results come back at all.

Do a search for plates & it's not available to buy.

What's likely happened here then?

Can it come back into circulation if the owner scraps their car, or they die or whatever?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    most likely the owner has changed vehicles and not yet registered the plate with another. if its unregistered the owner has to pay x amount a year to keep the plate in retention

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Think it will be on a Retention Certificate mate, which if not updated within 12 months will then become available, the person who owns it may be currently in the process of changing vehicles, or may even be putting it up for sale

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Hopefully, as i'd shell a few notes for this plate. It's basically my full surname, missing only 1 letter. If he can afford to have a brand spanking land rover, which it was at the time, he can't be short of a bob or two.

Status
    "Female"
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you contact Elite Registrations they will trace it for you then write to the owner and see if he wants to sell it..Jxx

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev_83 View Post
    There was a reg plate i really wanted as it damn near spells out my surname, but then i saw it 1 day while at old trafford on a land rover.

Great.

Just searching private plates & threw it in to see what it was attached to now & no results come back at all.

Do a search for plates & it's not available to buy.

What's likely happened here then?

Can it come back into circulation if the owner scraps their car, or they die or whatever?
    You wont find the plate as its already on a car so why would it be availible to buy??

Even if it was on retention and he didnt pay the fees this plate wouldnt come up for sale for a while as dvla give the person a set amount of time (example 24month)to pay before recovering the number back to themselves incase it was a genuine error by the seller not paying there retantion fee.

My other half works for dvla in registrations dept and i can tell you elite registrations or any other company will not be contacting people about plates like this because they wont/shouldnt be able to get peoples personal details and addresses without going through dvla who wouldnt allow this to happen.

Alot of registrations are being offered for sale by companies who dont even own them also,if you look on dvla website and are for sale there they are doing this illegally and are selling something they dont even own at the time ! Dvla are now pursuing these companies and are taking legal action

Hope this helps

Status
    "Female"
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Interesting, Elite registrations have written to me several times asking me if i want to sell my number plates..??? I wonder where they got my details then if what your wife says is true...again one of the many ways your info is not protected. Jxx

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaynos XP View Post
    Interesting, Elite registrations have written to me several times asking me if i want to sell my number plates..??? I wonder where they got my details then if what your wife says is true...again one of the many ways your info is not protected. Jxx

iv been told by security at a local uni, that firms can pay the dvla £2.50 for your address just by giving them your reg number, he told me this because the private car park firm that manage the car park there do this, obviously to retrive offending cars owners details

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ive contacted dvla for details about an owner of a registeration, was a small fee but i got them, cant remember what now though was about 4 years ago

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You know where im coming from though, i found a set of my old impreza p1 keys and if i could ring the dvla to find out where the car was i could just go pick it up and i sold it 4 years ago,people shouldnt be able to access our details for small sums of money unless a crime or traffic penalty has been occured and is a registered firm that is receiving them imo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast