Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Spun out twice in one night

And i really dont see how it happened.
    Both times were on a roundabout. It had been raining. I was turning right at a roundabout, doing 20mph or less, car totally spins out when exiting the turn, put full lock on left but luckily it just slid to a stop without hitting anything.
    Second time driving home, going straight on at a roundabout doing about 15mph, spins out worse than the first time, did 180 degree slide. Again luckily it didnt hit anything.

My driving style hasnt changed, i wasnt racing and this has never ever happened before in my life. I pulled over, tyres have loads of tread, they are about 3,000 miles old. Inflated fine, i topped them up about 3 weeks ago and they arent down.
    I can only assume ive somehow driven in some oil, but the tyres felt fine when i touched them to check for that.

Any ideas? Its only a bloody 1.4 16v. I swear my 1.2 corsa b handled better

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you checked the tire pressures and also might be worth getting your rear drums checked

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    still a possibillity of oil on the roundabouts ! in my naughty youth days in the corsa and 106 i used to hit a certain roundabout next to a petrol station to put the sh1ts up my lass approach it fast enough wack you lock on and it used to continue skidding to the railings then would grip last minute and pull me out of it ! but i believe that was the diesel on the roundabout ! take it easy now ive grown up and have a big boy car haha !

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BMAstra View Post
    you checked the tire pressures and also might be worth getting your rear drums checked
    Pressures are fine. What should i check for the drums? I wasnt braking when the slide happened...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark b View Post
    still a possibillity of oil on the roundabouts ! in my naughty youth days in the corsa and 106 i used to hit a certain roundabout next to a petrol station to put the sh1ts up my lass approach it fast enough wack you lock on and it used to continue skidding to the railings then would grip last minute and pull me out of it ! but i believe that was the diesel on the roundabout ! take it easy now ive grown up and have a big boy car haha !
    Thats all i can think of to be honest. It rained last night and the car drove fine.
    How grippy should the astra be though? Its a mk 4 5 door, and if i can fairly easily make it lose grip if i want it to. Say im driving straight on on a larger roundabout with a wide turn in the dry, if i accelerate around it from 30+ i can feel the left tyres starting to lose a bit of grip.
    Is that normal? My mate rags his 1.2 10 plate polo but then it does have traction control and is probably lighter.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    they may be sticking a little happened on my old 1.6 and caused me to spin out

basically get the cleaned up re adjusted

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BMAstra View Post
    they may be sticking a little happened on my old 1.6 and caused me to spin out

basically get the cleaned up re adjusted
    I do every now and then feel the brake pedal sort of go in and out. Like vibrate under my foot. Its very on and off though, doesnt happen constantly. What is that a sign of do you think? The front discs are about 2000 miles old.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    when i first got my Astra i thought it would handle as good as my 106 did but its suspension was immence ! and i skidded like mad coming off a roundabout in the wet !
    could also be that your tyres just dont fair well in the rain there not slicks are they ? LOL seriously though my tyres are useless in the rain when i get round to my new wheels im gunna get some good rated rain ones as thats theis country all over haha as for the drums that BMAstra is talking about his points also valid as again in my 106 as i have all around disc's these days the liners came away from the drum and caused it too bite on etc which wasnt fun ! it happens alot in this weather too unfortunately for yous and the mrs as hers is due to go in for the same thing as my 106 needed last year ! hope you get it sorted soon bud

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark b View Post
    when i first got my Astra i thought it would handle as good as my 106 did but its suspension was immence ! and i skidded like mad coming off a roundabout in the wet !
    could also be that your tyres just dont fair well in the rain there not slicks are they ? LOL seriously though my tyres are useless in the rain when i get round to my new wheels im gunna get some good rated rain ones as thats theis country all over haha as for the drums that BMAstra is talking about his points also valid as again in my 106 as i have all around disc's these days the liners came away from the drum and caused it too bite on etc which wasnt fun ! it happens alot in this weather too unfortunately for yous and the mrs as hers is due to go in for the same thing as my 106 needed last year ! hope you get it sorted soon bud
    Ill get the mechanic to check the drums out then, unless its something me and my dad could do? Ive never even removed a wheel, he knows a little bit about brakes though.
    How much to fix roughly if they are biting?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well i payed 80 for the 106 and the mrs has been quoted 90 so possibly around that margin !

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast