Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Brake vacuum loss?

Hi There,

I've started to have a problem with my 1999 CD 2.0di 's brakes. If/when I leave my car for about a day and a half or longer without driving it, when I go to drive it again the brakes really struggle to work. They eventually firm up again after 60-90 mins continous around town driving - but then the brake performance is pretty poor still - have just got a '06 combo van and compared to that the Astra feels like I'm braking Flinstone style with my feet on the ground! The combo is MUCH better! Maybe my Astra has been slowly getting worse and I've just been getting used to it?

It has EBC ultimax discs and pads up front and standard disks and EBC ultimax pads at the back. I don't think the brake fluid has been changed for a while. The brake fluid reseviour is still full- and has been at the same level throughout the saga.

The problem may be linked to an initial problem at christmas time in Munich - the Astra was left in -10 to -17 c temperatures for about 5-8 days without any driving, and when I started her up again (yes she did start in -17!!) the brakes where very, very dodgy, took about 2 hours of stop starting to come right again. Had assumed it was cold related and didn't really have any problems after that.... now am a bit suspicious that that was the cause?

Has anyone had a similar problem? Will take it to my garage shortly - not driving the astra at all at the moment- so just wanted to go in as near to fully informed as possible!

Cheers,

Tim

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Haynes test procedure for vaccum pump is to pump brake pedal until it firms up and then start engine, according to them there should be 'noticeable give' in the pedal once the engine starts and then when the engine is switched off the pedal should maintain the 'give' unless you pump it again.
    Interested to hear what happens because I suspect my vacuum pump is not working properely either and it takes a few seconds of engine running for the pedal to start 'giving'.