Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy My clutch squeaks when engine braking 3rd to 2nd

Hey,

I have noticed that my clutch squeaks when I engine brake down from 3rd to 2nd. It doesn't do it if I am changing down from 3rd to 2nd and the clutch doesn't give any resistance. It sometimes does it from 2nd to 1st but not that often even though it seems to offer the same amount of resistance. Doesn't do it in any other gear.

I'll get the noise until my foot is off the clutch and although I say it's a squeak noise, it sounds more like a squealing grinding noise but my boyfriend reckons I'm being a hypochondriac and that it's not something I need to worry about.

Car has done just over 80,000 miles and is 06 plate Astra. I have had it for a year so 15,000 of those are my miles but this noise is a recent acquisition.

Any thoughts?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's yer dual mass flywheel on the way out.
    It is only when the last tree is felled, the last animal killed and the last fish hauled from the sea that we will realise we can't eat money.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Excellent! :/

Have done a bit of research ... expensive. Therefore shall make sure I use the brakes a hell of a lot more.

Cheers for the info.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Have since worked out after a 1150 mile drive that the gear box makes noise constantly like a constant high pitched whirring when in 2nd gear, you can only hear it at low revs.

Because it happens only in 1 gear I don't reckon it can be the dmf because otherwise it would happen in all gears. Reckon the gear box could be on the way out.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Smeggles View Post
    Have since worked out after a 1150 mile drive that the gear box makes noise constantly like a constant high pitched whirring when in 2nd gear, you can only hear it at low revs.

Because it happens only in 1 gear I don't reckon it can be the dmf because otherwise it would happen in all gears. Reckon the gear box could be on the way out.
    I realise I'm talking to myself here but it helps to think out loud. Right the gearbox in second gear when providing any resistance whirs constantly, as soon as I put my foot on the accelerator, still in second, the noise goes away, take my foot off and the gear box provides resistance and it whirs again, really loudly, and only in second

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    get it fixed asap i would

the longer you leave it (like i did with my old car) the more expensive it gets

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Get that checked out like said above it will get more expensive as it goes along!
    Astra Mk5 5 Door
    1.9cdti custom 888 dual map by tuned & styled
    . custom changes on route watch this space!

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Am I right in thinking that all these diesels (1.3 1.7 and 1.9) use the m32 6 speed gear box?

I don't understand what can be causing that kind of friction though, do you reckon a refurb is in order?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I know the 1.7 does not to sure on the 1.3 and it's possible down to rubbish bearings as they changed the bearings from late 07 onwards!
    Yes on the refurb like said if it goes completely it will be a lot more expense! You will have to do the clutch and probably the flywheel to!
    Astra Mk5 5 Door
    1.9cdti custom 888 dual map by tuned & styled
    . custom changes on route watch this space!

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by woody1991 View Post
    I know the 1.7 does not to sure on the 1.3 and it's possible down to rubbish bearings as they changed the bearings from late 07 onwards!
    Have since found out that the 1.3 uses the M20 gearbox and is pretty much the only car in the range to do so, they're rare and bloody expensive.. so I'll either start researching a good price for a refurb or start saving for a 1.9 engine and gear box unit and do a conversion... the car I should have bought! lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast